Staying Interested in Fm

Are you talking about a new game, or to stay interested in continuing an existing game? For me I like to have a long-term project, which usually means a whole group of talented youngsters that I want to develop. But I don't want them to leave once they becomes stars, so having success while they are developing is crucial, it shows them the club's ambition, and the level they are expected to reach. So basically I have a core of veterans, 8-14 of them, and the rest of the team is u23.

My game is now in 2034, so I don't have the problem some people seem to have, where they have played the game from the start and aren't interested in starting over (or continuing on) because they would just look to sign the same players again, play with the same tactic, etc.

But for me the excitement comes from sustaining a dynasty, a team that just wreaks havoc on its rivals, year after year after year. I don't want an off year, I don't want to take 2 years to develop players before being successful again, basically I don't want my team too old or too young at any given time. I look forward to every game my team plays as an opportunity for them to show what they can do. Winning trophies and developing world class superstars just doesn't get old for me, it seems!

Yeah i like a challenge, i have got a team from bottom up to the top i haev got a team from the top all the trophies i can, i have tried a game with custom names.. am just looking for something different. sometimes i find playing the same game for a long time boring.

i am in 2017 with a custom names team now.. and am just starting to win everything but am short on money to even start youth team or think about making one.

It's the newgens that keep me interested, I get myself attached to them and want them to do well and it keeps me interested. Long term games are just amazing.

There's nothing like seeing your favourite newgen score a hat trick or watching them perform well for me.

In fact I'd say a newgen known as Angelos Vasileiou is the only reason I'm this far into my Villareal save, when I found him early on, got him starting in my team and he was playing well I just got addicted really and here I am a few weeks later in 2018 with a mostly newgen squad, it's so fun.

Also just testing out tactics with them is also really fun, love using tactics like real life sides have used and seeing if I can get my side to perform well.

I only also like the game when it starts getting filled with regens, that's why i normally find it so hard to start a new game but once i get a couple of seasons done i'm usually rolling but until then..

Can't find a good save at the moment to get interested in.

Anyway regarding the topic, have you seen those threads where people play a save only using players from their youth setup and not signing anyone? It's quite a challenge if you are interested.

It's the newgens that keep me interested, I get myself attached to them and want them to do well and it keeps me interested. Long term games are just amazing.

There's nothing like seeing your favourite newgen score a hat trick or watching them perform well for me.

In fact I'd say a newgen known as Angelos Vasileiou is the only reason I'm this far into my Villareal save, when I found him early on, got him starting in my team and he was playing well I just got addicted really and here I am a few weeks later in 2018 with a mostly newgen squad, it's so fun.

Also just testing out tactics with them is also really fun, love using tactics like real life sides have used and seeing if I can get my side to perform well.

So i should keep playing with my save game and just see what i can do and how far i can go with them??

does anyone no how far you can go before the game ends or is it never ending????

It's eternal.

You could try a long term save but I'm not sure whether that's your thing, there's people like me who are one club men and just take a certain club to dominance and play on with them forever and then there's journeyman who start unemployed and just keep moving from club to club over time.

Whether that floats your boat idk but I LOVE IT.

I only also like the game when it starts getting filled with regens, that's why i normally find it so hard to start a new game but once i get a couple of seasons done i'm usually rolling but until then..

Can't find a good save at the moment to get interested in.

Anyway regarding the topic, have you seen those threads where people play a save only using players from their youth setup and not signing anyone? It's quite a challenge if you are interested.

I think my next challenge is to get a good batch of youth players and possibly play a season with them see how much they grow over the season.

It's eternal.

You could try a long term save but I'm not sure whether that's your thing, there's people like me who are one club men and just take a certain club to dominance and play on with them forever and then there's journeyman who start unemployed and just keep moving from club to club over time.

Whether that floats your boat idk but I LOVE IT.

I like that idea starting unemployed but it takes time... I might consider that.

Is there a style on fm where you can play like Barcelona? keeping the ball with 70% possession really dominate during games?

or a really strong defense keeping longs of clean sheets and scraping wins?

Yeah, see how far you can go, absolutely! If you have no money to bring in youths look at who might be able to raise that money (by being sold), perhaps an aging player, someone you can replace with youth. I like to sign promising youths TO MAKE money, which then in the future is used for buying more promising youths! Say you spend 3m on a 30 or 31 year old. He might play great, but you are not going to be selling him on for a profit. Well, if you sign a promising 19 year old for 3m, and you develop him properly either you can sell him for 10-20m in a couple years, or if he is starting material you can build around him! Basically, when I sell an oldish player, and my team needs new prospects I will try to sell one, in order to bring in 3+ youngsters. As long as the salaries aren't very much (and they usually aren't, for youths) then its highly profitable.

Don't sell anyone you are too attached too, though, because whats the fun in only playing from the perspective of whats good for business?

Yeah, see how far you can go, absolutely! If you have no money to bring in youths look at who might be able to raise that money (by being sold), perhaps an aging player, someone you can replace with youth. I like to sign promising youths TO MAKE money, which then in the future is used for buying more promising youths! Say you spend 3m on a 30 or 31 year old. He might play great, but you are not going to be selling him on for a profit. Well, if you sign a promising 19 year old for 3m, and you develop him properly either you can sell him for 10-20m in a couple years, or if he is starting material you can build around him! Basically, when I sell an oldish player, and my team needs new prospects I will try to sell one, in order to bring in 3+ youngsters. As long as the salaries aren't very much (and they usually aren't, for youths) then its highly profitable.

Don't sell anyone you are too attached too, though, because whats the fun in only playing from the perspective of whats good for business?

I guess your right.. just had a couple of stadium changes and expansion which has left me with no money... i have sold one or two players... maybe if i win a few trophies i could use that money to put back into the club and maybe look to start up a good strong youth set up in the near future...

any tips on getting good youth i don't seem to get a lot coming through my youth set up to say i have excellent facilities. maybe get one half decent one otherwise i just buy them??

I like that idea starting unemployed but it takes time... I might consider that.

Is there a style on fm where you can play like Barcelona? keeping the ball with 70% possession really dominate during games?

or a really strong defense keeping longs of clean sheets and scraping wins?

Yes it can be done, try experimenting yourself with a few different formations, philosophy's etc if you like. I find that fun myself, trying to find a tactic I find fun and that works well.

Or you could download the tactical theorems guide (http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-ebooks/tactical-theorems-10/) which is a great guide that has a part to it in which it looks at real life tactics and how they can be used in FM, they're quite fun to experiment with. For example last year I had great fun using a 'Totaalvoetball' tactic.

Or you could venture into the Tactics & Training part of this forum if you like.

:-)

I was in the same position as you. I've just started in Iceland with a team called FH. 22 games in the league so I'm flying through the seasons. Good game though, especially trying to challenge in europe.

Loving it :D

Archived