Making an attacking sub when behind

keon

Not really a bug I don't think, but for some reason, anytime I put on a striker for a midfielder for example when trailing, the game is not as open?

So I play a 4-1-1-3-1, and when I replace either the centre midfielder, or even a full back with another striker, the game is less open? It doesn't make sense, how does that work? If you watch football games, when you make that attacking sub, more than likely, the game is more open and end to end. I know tactic familarity comes into it but in all honesty, one more striker is hardly gonna make the players not know what they're doing and forget how to get to the byline and put in a cross.

Obviously the decision to bring on a striker could be wrong, and then the AI could switch their tactics (which I haven't actually seen them do when I do go more attacking), but I don't even bother putting on an extra striker now instead of a full back for example, I create less chances and so do the computer, which doesn't add up... Occasionally of course, it could happen, but I'm talking 90% of the time, the game goes into a lull, which doesn't happen very often at all.

Yea it would if I took off a centre mid, sorry, I don't do it that often so I don't know why I used that as an example, but even then, the game would still be a bit more open.

My gripe is that it seems LESS chances are created overall when the game would be more open, and I have watched more than just key highlights too and for whatever reason, the game just dies down, but like I said, an attacking change doesn't always mean it works, I know that, but I think only once or twice in around 15 times have I seen my extra striker do anything of note in around 30 minutes, with the AI still playing the same formation and not altering.

So you have 5 defensive players and 5 attacking players after the sub with a big massive gap in the middle that the Titanic could sink in.

So when you get the ball your defensive players have no option but to boot it forward and hope it falls to one of the five attackers. Is it any wonder you don't create many chances?

No, I would have changed a full back for a striker? Where's the 5 defensive and 5 attacking players come from?

Well you said MC or fullback for ST.

Taking off a MC leaves you with DL, DC, DC, DR, DMC, AML, AMC, AMR, ST, ST while taking off a fullback leaves you unbalanced and open down one flank.

You have huge gaps in front of your DMC when your MC goes and in front of your fullbacks. It would help if we knew the roles and duties of the players but I suspect you have the attackers on attack duty and defenders on defend which widens the gaps further.

Ok sorry, ignore the CM, I wish I never mentioned that, I've done it once and was just using it as an example, but even then, my point still stands I feel.

So if I was to take off a full back, I would have three at the back, a holding midfielder, an advanced playmaker, two supporting wingers, a treqiesarta (sp?), a deep lying forward and then a poacher... There should be no gap there, and when I watch the game, there isn't a gap there. I can't see anything majorly wrong when I watch, not like the potential problem you said about the big gap because then I would know what the problem is. I look less threatening as a force with the extra striker, and then the other team create less chances even when I'm down a defender.

You have to factor in what the opposition are doing and when ahead they'll play a more containing game keeping men behind the ball restricting space.

With three AMs and two STs in advanced positions it will be difficult to find space, it helps that you have your wingers on support but I suspect they'll be out of passing/mentality range when your defenders/DM have possession while your MC will probably be outnumbered in the middle (depending on opposition formation).

I would be tempted to drop your wingers back a little to ML/MR when your ST comes on so you can get possession better in the opposition half.

EDIT

Taking a fullback off also means you've lost easy passes for defenders/midfielders as they tend to be left unmarked until they get into advanced positions.

It's not the lack of possession which is the problem, it just seems the passing is off, they play it long (when I don't ask them to) and neither striker know's their role.

I've started to use the match preperation feature for this formation, so maybe it's that, but even so, I still don't understand why the game is less open. I agree with what you're saying though, as in, if you've got the ball with about 5 people near each other attacking wise, then there's no use, and if there's no midfield, then where's the link between front and back etc. It just seems the game is less open overall, and it doesn't make sense. Even if they do put more men behind the ball, I have strikers like Cavani, Tevez, Benzema who are very capable players, who come on and literally make no difference but I still have good possession... Depends on the game I guess, this match preperation thing should work but still, I don't get why the game's aren't as open, regardless of what the AI do

It's not the lack of possession which is the problem, it just seems the passing is off, they play it long (when I don't ask them to) and neither striker know's their role.

They play it long because they don't have a pass available within their mentality/passing range + team mentality which probably encourages quick passes into attacking areas.

Loss of fullbacks, MC outnumbered and wingers out of range all contribute to this.

They do, they have the same passes as before the change.... Literally it's one player change and there's no huge change in emphasis I place. Losing one full back doesn't constitute a complete overhaul in how the team plays IRL. The midfield is exactly the same so no, they shouldn't be outnumbered, of course, unless the opposition are playing with a flat 5 which they very rarely do

Archived