Just a few questions...Playing as Queen's Park in the Scot 3rd Division

I am currently playing with Queen's Park in the Scottish 3rd Division. The reason I chose them is basically because I dont have to pay wages or pay any signing on fees and on top of this, I have a great stadium (Hampden Park) and great training facilites. Even though we are an amateur club, I am not happy with the current squad so I have totally reshaped the team and staff putting all the "average" existing players in reserves, and releasing all the rest (including my rubbish youth) of players.

I am about to get underway with my first friendly of the pre-season but before i get underway with the season, there a few things I would like to ask...

1) In backroom advice, when a coach tells me that I should put a player on an individual training regime to improve an attribute..is it always worth taking their advice and doing so? In FM12 - I can't get a second opinion like in the older games from another staff member. i.e. why should I put a 31 year old player on improving free kicks if his attribute for Free Kick Taking is only 7?...or telling me to put a 36 year old on long throws when his attribute for this is only 6. How do I know when the advice given is correct?

2) In tactics, can a lower division club like Queen's Park really play 'Control' or 'Counter'? ... I remember reading somewhere that lower division clubs should stick to the basic 3 starting tactical philosophies (Defensive, Balanced, Attacking) as their players are not as advanced or technical enough to play all 7 philosophies available. But then again....(I use Genie Scout by the way)...the whole of the Scottish 3rd Division have players of up to CA 70 - Whereas my team are between CA 70-108....so as far as I see it, I have a far more superior side than the whole of the Scottish 3rd Division - so maybe it will work?

3) After offering a contract to a player, if i cancel it, why is it that now we can't re-offer a contract straight away? It says "You cannot make a contract offer for this player - Until a team accept an offer, all you can do is wait'

4) During a match in the touchline shouts, when is it best to use "Hit Early Crosses" and "Run at Defence"?

5) I play a 4-3-1-2 at home and a 4-1-3-2 away - No wingers on either formation. Is it still useful to tell the team to "play wider" and "exploit the flanks" even though I play a narrow formation?

6) Is it wise to play a Fluid/Very Fluid philosophy with lower league teams?...Even if you are sure-fire favourites to win the game?

7) And finally, Is it also wise to choose 'play through the centre' in the team instructions before the game in an attacking home 4-3-1-2 strategy where I am favourites to win?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Merry xmas!

1. Definitely not, use your own judgement on this one. I tend not to bother with specific training for anybody over 30, as it's unlikely to make too much of a difference by that point. It's much better for shaping young players imo.

2. I usually stick to the same tactic and adjust it slightly depending on who I'm managing and against. All I'd say is try it and see how you go.

3. I think you have to wait 14 days and then it works (remember reading this on another thread, but feel free to correct me if it's wrong). I can't remember if it's a bug or if it's supposed to be this way, but it's annoying and stupid either way.

4. I don't use shouts, so will let someone else answer.

5. I'd imagine that would be counter-productive. If your lineup is very narrow, then exploiting the flanks would drag your players away from where they're supposed to be and leave you more open. Perhaps somebody who's better at tactical changes will be able to answer better than I can though.

6. I'll only use Fluid options if I'm confident that my players have the ability to do so. I wouldn't take the opposition into account too much for this. If your players have poor decision attributes, then I'd recommend going for something more rigid so they stay in position and don't get caught out.

7. Again, will let somebody who's better at tactics answer this one. It might be worth checking in the tactics forum for opinions on this.

I've played the SFL3 for the last few versions of the game (Usually Elgin/East Stirling) so I'd like to share some insight :)

I believe you can make use of all philosophies. I've had tactics using control and counter before and they worked fine. To be honest, I never really witnessed any large differences between Counter/Defensive and Standard/Control at this level so you should feel safe using them. For the vast majority of the tactics, you'll probably end up using 'Pass to Feet' as well, simply because of the low technical standard.

'Play Wider' does have some effect on narrow formations, usually meaning your wider CMs are more likely to help out covering the flanks (since most teams will use 4-4-2). Exploit the flanks however will be rather useless unless you've got some decent attacking full backs. Your CMs will stick to the centre of the park unless they back up your fullbacks. In SFL3, balls will be punted to the forwards for the most part, bypassing any midfield/wing play especially using narrow formations. Your team will probably be playing through the centre without you having to 'shout' it but go ahead and use it if you'd like =)

I'd stay clear of Fluid/Very Fluid play, simply because your players wont be disciplined enough to keep their roles. I've never tried it to be fair, but the mental stats are usually very low, and I'd always assumed that kind of play relied on players knowing when to move out of position correctly.

I ignored all coach recommendation for training focus. There is so little training gain at this level that I'd prefer it to go towards stats shaped by my training routines. At this level, stats are so low that many suggestions really aren't worth it. The example you give around the older player with free kicks is a good example. The general feeling is that physical stats > all others at this level, save for a few important ones per postion. (E.g. Jumping for DC, Finishing for ST).

Hope that helps, have fun at this level :)

In backroom advice, when a coach tells me that I should put a player on an individual training regime to improve an attribute..is it always worth taking their advice and doing so?

Heavens, no! I never listen to the staff. They usually couldn't find their own arse with both hands and an anatomy textbook.

I tend not to bother with specific training for anybody over 30, as it's unlikely to make too much of a difference by that point. It's much better for shaping young players imo.

I've taken to putting everyone age 30 and up on stamina training, in an attempt to prevent it from dropping too much when they age. Not sure if it makes much difference, though, to be honest.

1) Use your own judgement.

2) They should certainly be able to play counter, I think it is something of an urban myth that they won't be able to play contain, counter or overload.

3) I don't know

4) Hit early crosses is nearly always a good idea, I find, particularly if your striker(s) aren't good in the air or you want to counter attack. "Run at defence" is good when you want to counter attack, if your players are generally better at dribbling than passing, or if you want a player to dribble to produce a moment of magic to unlock a deep sitting defence.

5) Play wider yes, though be wary of your defence having gaps in it. Exploit the flanks, probably not.

6) Fluid should be fine. Very fluid is dubious, I personally dislike the defensive setting for this philosophy so I never use it.

7) Yes, it can be.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Archived