What are your recommended leagues and how many do you run?

Hello all,

What are your recommended leagues when starting up a new FM save game? Mine always come up as England (down to League 2) and Scotland (down to Division 3). Medium database is always selected as default.

However, I get this same recommendation on my fiancee's laptop, which is much slower than mine, so I don't really think the recommendation holds much truth.

I, for one, would like to see SI provide more detailed information about running times in the manual. I realise that it isn't as simple as it sounds, but surely testing with different 'levels' of laptop and desktop PC ability would give us some kind of matrix as a guide.

I've got a Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1.66GHz with 1GB RAM. I never really run that many leagues on it. It is always very quick with all leagues loaded from one or two nations, so I think I could probably load more.

I'm curious about other computers. So, with that in mind, I would be grateful if some of you could answer the following:

- What is your computer spec?

- How many leagues from how many nations does your computer recommend?

- Do you pay any attention to this?

- How many leagues from how many nations do you normally end up playing? Are you satisfied with the speed?

- What do you think is the main thing that slows your computer down, i.e. is it the number of nations selected, number of leagues selected, or database size?

I am starting this thread because there is nothing more upsetting than loading too many leagues, getting really into your save game and playing well into the future only to find that it has become too slow for your PC. This happened to me once on an earlier incarnation of the game and I have always erred on the side of caution ever since. Hopefully this thread might provide some guidance for others.

C.

P.S. For those who are having computer issues, I have found that running CCleaner (a free download) and using it to clean out your computer, plus using it to ensure that you have barely anything running in the background, can really improve performance. Furthermore, those who have Vista can really speed things up by disabling all of Vista's ornate, gaudy and pointless features. Set your system up for performance rather than presentation. I'm no computer expert but these two tips have really increased my computer speed.

Hello all,

What are your recommended leagues when starting up a new FM save game? Mine always come up as England (down to League 2) and Scotland (down to Division 3). Medium database is always selected as default.

However, I get this same recommendation on my fiancee's laptop, which is much slower than mine, so I don't really think the recommendation holds much truth.

I, for one, would like to see SI provide more detailed information about running times in the manual. I realise that it isn't as simple as it sounds, but surely testing with different 'levels' of laptop and desktop PC ability would give us some kind of matrix as a guide.

I've got a Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1.66GHz with 1GB RAM. I never really run that many leagues on it. It is always very quick with all leagues loaded from one or two nations, so I think I could probably load more.

I'm curious about other computers. So, with that in mind, I would be grateful if some of you could answer the following:

- What is your computer spec?

- How many leagues from how many nations does your computer recommend?

- Do you pay any attention to this?

- How many leagues from how many nations do you normally end up playing? Are you satisfied with the speed?

- What do you think is the main thing that slows your computer down, i.e. is it the number of nations selected, number of leagues selected, or database size?

I am starting this thread because there is nothing more upsetting than loading too many leagues, getting really into your save game and playing well into the future only to find that it has become too slow for your PC. This happened to me once on an earlier incarnation of the game and I have always erred on the side of caution ever since. Hopefully this thread might provide some guidance for others.

C.

P.S. For those who are having computer issues, I have found that running CCleaner (a free download) and using it to clean out your computer, plus using it to ensure that you have barely anything running in the background, can really improve performance. Furthermore, those who have Vista can really speed things up by disabling all of Vista's ornate, gaudy and pointless features. Set your system up for performance rather than presentation. I'm no computer expert but these two tips have really increased my computer speed.

Search function for "leagues specs": http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWor...orum_scope=521102691

Other combinations might bring up even more posts about what other gamers recommend.

And it's subjective depending on how much patience/time the gamer has.

It would be nice to see more details on the instructions which would prevent two posts a day on the subject, but then if someone loads all leagues on their quad-core but isn't happy with the speed, they'll be on here whining about how lazy/incompetent/greedy SI are. Minimum and recommended specs are sufficient IMO, although elaborating on them should be possible: eg, "if running a PC with 1GB or less we recommend you do not run more than 5 leagues on a large database."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Search function for "leagues specs": http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWor...orum_scope=521102691

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there and done that. Found it thoroughly unhelpful hence the creation of this thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

And it's subjective depending on how much patience/time the gamer has.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly true but I believe that some simple statistics would enable the user to make his own decision. It would certainly give the user a chance to make a more educated guess about his setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

It would be nice to see more details on the instructions which would prevent two posts a day on the subject, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two posts a day about the subject probably isn't an exaggeration actually but that clearly indicates the need for better guidance. When the average post is, 'I've got this kind of PC, how many leagues can I run', there is clearly a need for some more information.

I did expect a reply like yours suggesting I wade through a pleathora of useless threads for answers. My idea was not to repeat what has already been said. Instead, I hoped to engender some useful discussion by asking some pertinent questions about the way that other people play FM. Everything can be said to be subjective but that does not mean that one cannot shine some light on a 'truth'.

C.

hi I have a quad core Phenom 9800, with 4 gig of ram ATI HD 3870 512mb etc etc. it recommends quite a few leagues (Nearly all to be honest)and even when i load every league the game runs fine but i only end up playing with just european leagues with players loaded from rest of world on large database

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, I get this same recommendation on my fiancee's laptop, which is much slower than mine, so I don't really think the recommendation holds much truth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you should just ignore what the game recommends. I have a core 2 duo with 4gb ram and the game only recommends 7 leagues! I am now running 34 leagues over 12 nations and the game runs fine. It really depends on your specs and how patient you are because the game processing\saving & loading will slow down a bit as the seasons go by and the filesize gets bigger. At the end of the day its really up to you and what your comfortable with I think.

The game recommends I just run all the Scottish and English leagues. I'm not into computers so don't know anything about spec but I usually run 2/3 leagues from around 8 nations on normal database.

At the moment I'm running all the North & South American leagues with data added from Bolivia, Paraguay, Venuzuala and Ecuador.

Archived