Why am I getting an absurd amount of red cards?

Last season I had about 15 red cards in all competitions. I thought it was one of those flukish things that happens now and then, like ManYoo's absurd away form last season, or ManYoo having about 13 own goals scored for them the season before.

However, a new season, and this:

vVmmY.jpg

(5 red cards in 12 games for those who can't see it)

I have one player whose tackling is set to hard - Yann M'Vila, my defensive midfielder - he hasn't been sent off yet (nor last season, I believe). What are the other possible reasons for this happening? I should also point out that I've been using this tactic since the beginning of the game, and on other saves too, and I didn't get anywhere near the amount of red cards in the first season, or on the other saves, that I'm receiving now.

Are you playing with a very high line/relatively slow defenders? This could result in red cards for last man fouls.

Are you getting your players too fired up with teamtalks? This could lead to more aggressive behaviour from players.

Just to add onto what Cafcrocky has said, you also need to consider the players personality, like for example Alan Smith, he's known as a dirty player. You also look at his Aggression stat. If a player has high Aggression, then there's a much higher chance he's going to take your instructions too far, therefore, you need to lower the tackling for that player.

Also in the touchline shouts, are you telling them to get stuck in? I've done that in the last couple of games, and had 2 men sent off for 2 footed lunges since I did that, when before I had a pretty average record, with an acceptable amount of bookings and I think either 0 or just 1 red card before then.

Thanks for the advice.

It's not usually my defenders, and it's not usually 2nd yellow cards. It just seems like they're purposefully performing Ben Thatcheresque tackles. As you can see in the picture I posted, Phil Jones hasn't even picked up a yellow despite having played 12 games. I changed my tactic and it seems to have become less of a problem (I get a red card once every 10 or so games now, compared to once every 2.5 games with my old tactic), but I still can't figure out what the problem was. As I said, I had one player whose tackling was set to hard. The only touchline shouts I use are retain possession, pass to feet, stand off opponents and take a breather for when I'm 3+ goals up, since I like to have my players fresh for the next game and avoid injuries and picking up cards

I dropped Rooney to the reserves (for getting two red cards within 4 games for elbowing an opponent), and he said that he understood my decision. The only defenders who regularly get sent off for me are my full backs, but I still think it's an unrealistic amount.

Archived