An end to "OMG Where's the patch?" Threads?

Firstly, congrats to SI, I'm overjoyed at having two seamless updates discreetly deployed in such a short space of time and with such ease. The communication via the changelog thread has been bang on too.

Even better, GD is no longer awash with hystericals shrieks of terms such as unplayable, broken, when's the patch, or sort it out SI.

Can I ask then, is there a defined plan going forward?

Can we assume that this year any fixes discovered in November/December might be released in a similar timely manner?

Made a real difference this year, not even noticed the fixes going in, Steam does that efficiently and silently while I'm doing other things and when FM is launched the job is done. Thank you!

I guess you haven't looked at the "my game isn't working due to the steam update" threads being created then.

To answer one of your questions: In one of the other threads, I believe it was Matt from Sega saying they don't have a formal patch plan yet but they'll announce it when they do.

Whilst i have had no problems with the patching system myself through steam, many people have. Look at the posts!

I can see why someone is frustrated that whilst they are downloading the new patch they cannot play the game. In the old days this would have been possible. If your internet connection isnt great that could mean an hour of playing time lost. And even then if Steam hasnt downloaded the patch propelrly you have to faff about verifying the cache etc.

So no I would hope with future incernations of the game this wouldnt be the way forward.

Yeah, a lot of that is being caused by steam not being left to run quietly in the background.

You fire up FM and it won't play because Steam can see and wants to deploy the fix. Had steam been running from boot it'd have already silently done the job. I've got steam running across 4 systems, the one that's not got any autoruns is always the one that plays up.

As a veteran of many games forums where Steam was adopted years ago I'm used to seeing a certain amount of bandwagon-jumping and incitment from the anti-DRM brigade and have taken a cautious view to reading too many of the 'issue' threads - history and time spent trying to help people without a genuine problem has left me a littly wary of bothering nowadays. (Mind you, it is hellish funny watching steam get the blame for the rain, the dog barking, the missus not putting out and anything else it can be accused of :D)

Yeah, a lot of that is being caused by steam not being left to run quietly in the background.

You fire up FM and it won't play because Steam can see and wants to deploy the fix. Had steam been running from boot it'd have already silently done the job. I've got steam running across 4 systems, the one that's not got any autoruns is always the one that plays up.

As a veteran of many games forums where Steam was adopted years ago I'm used to seeing a certain amount of bandwagon-jumping and incitment from the anti-DRM brigade and have taken a cautious view to reading too many of the 'issue' threads - history and time spent trying to help people without a genuine problem has left me a littly wary of bothering nowadays. (Mind you, it is hellish funny watching steam get the blame for the rain, the dog barking, the missus not putting out and anything else it can be accused of :D)

Well spotted. ;)

My standpoint is that i don't mind using Steam. I didn't have a problem using last year using Steam autoupdate, you launched FM11 and it told you it was updating before then opening the game.

This year using the same method, it doesn't tell you anything which had lead to the position Steam/SI are in now....

I had this happen once to me yesterday but it begs the question why change something that didn't have a problem to be in a position where they get loads of complaints for users?

They've decided to go backwards in telling people its updating to the point people don't know. If i knew an update was happening I'd wait for it to complete then open the game but you don't even get that chance.

Anyway before this thread gets completely sidetracked in a flame fest, hopefully someone will answer your other question.

Firstly, congrats to SI, I'm overjoyed at having two seamless updates discreetly deployed in such a short space of time and with such ease. The communication via the changelog thread has been bang on too.

Even better, GD is no longer awash with hystericals shrieks of terms such as unplayable, broken, when's the patch, or sort it out SI.

Can I ask then, is there a defined plan going forward?

Can we assume that this year any fixes discovered in November/December might be released in a similar timely manner?

Made a real difference this year, not even noticed the fixes going in, Steam does that efficiently and silently while I'm doing other things and when FM is launched the job is done. Thank you!

Hello,

There's no definitive plan at the moment - the game is working pretty well. SI have seen a couple of minor things that have needed fixing and have issued savegame compatible hotfixes. They'll do this as and when they need, I believe.

If there's a need for a patch in the traditional sense we'll announce it here.

Cheers

Matt

Archived