A question on signing players and squad numbering.

A lot of things have been covered in GD in regards to fav players, 1st signings, 1 player you always sign etc...

My question is this, how many people leave a number in their squad free just in case they sign player that they like and has that number down as their prefered number?

I always keep the number 25 free and never give it to anyone just in case the opportunity to sign steven defour arrises, he's been nothing short of brilliant for me in fm09,10 and 11, so always keep it free as im always looking to sign him.

It only made sense in my head previously. But as in FM11 they started judging your squad number assignments (assuming 1-11 is your preferred side) it makes a little more sense...

...if I believe my team is particularly week in a certain area, I won't give any player the 1-11 number I assign to said position.

Eg. In my Swindon Random Players game I've started for FM12 I didn't like any of the keepers so no-one got the number 1 shirt. Late(ish) in August my Namibian strikers international friendly features a quality Nigerian (I think, only happened last night) GK who has to come off the bench due to injury. He just so happens to have a stormer and be spotted by my scout who thinks he's great and would get a permit on appeal. I managed to sign him, and what do you know 1 is his favored number!

I have also once spent a season and a half with a number 2 or 3 in my team as I couldn't find Fullbacks I was happy with at Bath City (FM09 I think).

Archived