Squad Depth - A good start. Can be improved.

As in the title, I like this new feature. It's good at what it does, well put together and simple.

But it can be improved.

Two changes or additions I believe would help is the addition of more than just 'every position' being included and being allowed to use the currently set formation as opposed to including everything. So you don't get extraneous positions.

Also, having players sorted not just by position, but by role. Would work alongside the formation.

If I use a limited cover centre back, and a ball playing stopper centre back, those are very different roles despite being the same position. Right now you get a basic list of position. SW, DC, DR, DL etc.

An attacking wide play winger is different to an inside forward.

A poaching line breaking ST is different to a big target man ST.

And so on.

It would make it quite cluttered having each role in squad depth in my opinion. You will know who your inside forward and winger are so my suggestion would be to have the deeper position strength tab on and look through the list looking for those particular players.

Just saw your suggestion about current formation, I believe it is a good idea to have the less detailed strength tab showing your current formation though again having the current role there the AI doesn't provide different star ratings for different roles so I'm not sure how that would work.

Can't find anything in the game regarding squad depth (except the teamwork option th the "match preparation screen" - but I don't think you're referring to this).

Where can I find the squad depth screen ?

Click on the menu entitled [Team Name], then "Team Report".

I think a "strongest XI" would be good, it seems the old feature wasn't compatible with the new one but hopefully SI can work something out for FM13.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the more options it gives you, the better, for instance, you might not have realised that one of your CBs is a decent SW, and you can then perhaps use this knowledge to develop a new tactic when you play against opposition which might warrant it...

Also, if they allow us to filter, then we can filter only the info we need and want (this applies to the suggestion that adding roles and duties will clutter the screen up) and there's nothing wrong with that...

Give us as much info as possible, allow us to personally customise it by filtering out the important/relevant bits and we'll all be happy!

Archived