Finances

I've brought this up briefly in the Demo thread, but want to expand on it a bit more as it's not really an issue with the demo as such, but I do think that the Finances side of FM needs to be looked at a bit. I fully appreciate the comments I've read in the past about managers not being in control of the finances at a club, and totally agree, however I do believe they are more aware and have more detailed information.

What I'm suggesting isn't to have more control over them, just more information on what the costs/income are for what you do. I know FM12 has brought in a little more info, such as being told how much TV revenue you get, but there isn't much information on how much individual things cost. For example, as Liverpool in the Premier Leage in the FM12 demo, in the month of October I made a loss of £4.5 million. Of my expenses, £2,858,052 was "Non-Football Costs". Now as a team like Liverpool, with Premier League prize money to come at the end of the season and potential Champions League revenue coming up, I admit losing £4.5mil per month isn't the end of the world, but for some lower league managers, they need to keep a tighter reign on the ship. So things such as non-football costs, scouting costs, match day expenses etc, could have a bit more detail so that you can choose whether or not there are things that fall under the managers remit that you can cut down on?

Costs of individual scouting trips might be a good start, so that I can see how much it will cost to send my scout to France, Spain or Romania, before deciding where to go!

Any other thoughts to this??

Typically speaking a fair number of the costs that aren't broken down aren't the sort of costs that managers would reasonably be expected to be in charge of. However we do agree that various parts could be a little clearer and it is something under consideration for future versions.

Cheers.

I can see the point, maybe an option to go to the board and ask them to cut back on XXX in order to free up some more wage budget or something though? I guess scouting costs are the main area that could be clearer. Thanks for the quick reply.

Liverpool losing 4.5 million a month is that a joke? Sounds a tad unrealistic to me. In reality Liverpool lost 20 million in the final year Hicks and Gillett were in charge upto July 2010. Anyone played as Man United yet whats there profit/loss for a month

• SI Staff
Liverpool losing 4.5 million a month is that a joke? Sounds a tad unrealistic to me. In reality Liverpool lost 20 million in the final year Hicks and Gillett were in charge upto July 2010. Anyone played as Man United yet whats there profit/loss for a month

Clubs tend to have a few months of big profits each year (early on with season tickets and sponsorships, later on with prize money and possible player sales) but in mid-season it is not unusual for clubs to lose money as the basic monthly gate receipts are usually not enough to offset all the costs each month, especially at bigger clubs with a high percentage of season ticket holders etc.

Archived