New York Cosmos

Don't hold your breath. Cosmos exist only as smoke and mirrors at this point (and a semi-pro squad, plus a youth academy) and have yet to provide any evidence that actually have the money to start a franchise (MLS is looking at making $30,000,000+ from the next expansion team) nor a stadium to play in.

Last I heard was more like $70M. I don't know where the money's coming from, but they do seem reasonably serious about it. I'd guess that they'll be accepted as an expansion team before the 2012 season, but they won't be ready until 2013.

Looking forward to it, though. New York deserves to have a club that isn't named after an energy drink.

Anyway, it's always possible to edit in new clubs if you so desire. That's what I always do with my imaginary local club that I'd definitely start if I had ten million Euro lying around.

Even if they join MLS, FM won't add them until their 2nd year in the league. Just look at Vancouver and Portland, almost finished their entire first season and they're not in FM.

Annoying, but the reality.

Since squad lists are finalized at the end of the summer transfer window (Aug 31) for the forthcoming version, there is no way with FM's production cycle to include future expansion teams. Sure, I'm a Whitecaps fan and it would have been nice to have them in the FM11, but really this only effects MLS teams and the hardship of waiting an extra year isn't terrible.

Archived