Wage budget cut

Hello all - good to see the forums are back :)

I'm currently in my second season at Portsmouth (I lost in the playoffs in the first season) and the club is in a much more healthy financial state after a takover (even though we still have debts).

However, for some reason my wage budget has been cut from £250,000 to £145,000 with no transfer budget for the new season -despite making a £3 million profit in the finances last year. This is particularly frustrating because I cut the wage spending from around £300,000 - £180,000 from the start of the game to my current total, which is a significant cut. I realise that the new owners of the club might be being prudent - but I can't even negotiate with the board over this and I can't buy/loan anyone because the maximum wage for a new contract is now £900 a week, given that I am above the very low and abruptly cut wage budget. On top of this, I am expected to reach the playoffs with this wage budget/ non-existant transfer budget - which is ridiculous really.

I just wanted to ask whether anyone else thinks this is unreasonable and if anyone else has similar stories?

Guest SCIAG2

This isn't something I've encountered, but you do seem hard done by.

The forums are still at a low ebb, most of the people online seem to be OTF users. Activity is going to be low for a day or two.

Hello all - good to see the forums are back :)

I'm currently in my second season at Portsmouth (I lost in the playoffs in the first season) and the club is in a much more healthy financial state after a takover (even though we still have debts).

However, for some reason my wage budget has been cut from £250,000 to £145,000 with no transfer budget for the new season -despite making a £3 million profit in the finances last year. This is particularly frustrating because I cut the wage spending from around £300,000 - £180,000 from the start of the game to my current total, which is a significant cut. I realise that the new owners of the club might be being prudent - but I can't even negotiate with the board over this and I can't buy/loan anyone because the maximum wage for a new contract is now £900 a week, given that I am above the very low and abruptly cut wage budget. On top of this, I am expected to reach the playoffs with this wage budget/ non-existant transfer budget - which is ridiculous really.

I just wanted to ask whether anyone else thinks this is unreasonable and if anyone else has similar stories?

As far as I'm aware the budgets are set depending on financial positions on that day and previous budgets aren't taken into consideration.

You might have made a £3m profit last season but chances are the takeover has saddled you with significant long term debt which will result in higher loan repayments this season.

Is it unreasonable? perhaps from your position as manager especially given the competition targets you've been given but from a financial point of view the club need to set a level which will allow the debt to be repaid.

Its certainly a challenge but if you want to be manager of a club in this sort of position its one you need to deal with. The alternative is to use the editor/FMRTE to reduce the long term debt.

I see the reasoning perhaps. The thing that is frustrating for me, is that I can't negotiate with the board on anything to do with finance as they are all greyed out. I hope the the options will be available before the end of the window - otherwise I am in trouble :D.

The two top earners include my best player (and top goalscorer) who recently signed a new contract - but I had to give him huge bonuses/fees to make him sign the contract without a wage increase - and a player I signed in early June (when the transfer window opened, but the start of the new season hadn't commenced yet). I suppose selling a couple of other players could make a difference, but I still feel that a 110k cut to the wage budget is harsh.

Seems very harsh, but perhaps they feel the only way to drastically cut the debt at the club is by putting tough restrictions. See how you go over the season, they might adjust it mid-season (if you’re doing well financially).

Archived