Loan vs. Homegrown

If I sign a player (from another club ie. not one of my own graduates) at 16, play him in my youth team until he signs professional terms, then loan him out from age 17 until he's 22 does he qualify as homegrown? He's been owned by my club for four and a bit years before the age of 21 so matches that section of the rule, but I have this terrible feeling I'm underestimating the stupidity of UEFA (as if it were possible).

I'm looking for a definite answer rather than guesses, if possible please. I can't quite suss this one out from my own current save, and I'm reluctant to allow my young players out on loan for this reason.

Also, for you folks who're managing Spanish clubs, if you sign a player (again, I'm not asking about your own graduates) at 16/17 then put him in the B team until he's 22 does he count as homegrown for your main club?

Edit: Forgot to clarify, I'm asking about clubs with a "separate" B club like Barcelona Atlético.

I've checked and in my current Barça squad I have many HG (club) players who have been spending entire seasons at Barcelona Atlètic...

Apparently that doesn't count as a loan spell because the parent club is still the same, so it's treated like a regular reserve/youth squad.

Elsewhere I'm sure UEFA makes no difference between loans and sales, so if you loan your youngster to a different club (ie. not your own reserve/B-team) the time he spends on loan will count toward the 3-years quota for the other club.

Basically a loan spell will be a "wasted year" in terms of HG eligibility.

P.S. such rule is however subject to national FAs overruling, so it's possible a loan spell can still be valid for HG eligibility for DOMESTIC competitions only (but for Champions League/Europa League UEFA ruling still stands)

E.g. Norwegian clubs can loan their youngsters out and still have the loan spells count as "time spent at the parent club", but only for the HG rules in the league.

Archived