Sentimental Signing

Thinking about resigning Ronaldo to United on a free from Madrid at the cost of around 200,000 a week in wages. I'm reigning English and European champion and I don't really need him but I'd love to have him back. Just wondering if others are suckers for sentimental signings?

I don't make signings like that but I have a habit of keeping players for longer than they are useful, or just sticking by players who aren't the best in my team but who I like.

The most recent example I've got of this sentimentality is in my Lancaster City save.

In season 1 I signed Christian Nanetti on a free transfer, he was a fantastic young winger for the division and he was easily my best winger for 3 years. In season 4 though I signed 3 new wingers, all of them technically, mentally and physically superior to him but I continued to play him because he was doing pretty well and I thought it would be mean to stop. Now I'm in League 1 and he is one of the worst wingers in the league but he will still be my 1st choice left winger this season because i would feel really bad if I stop playing him.

I often do the same when I manage lower league teams. Sometimes getting rid of the old reliables can be like putting down a dog. If I manged Man United in real life the 93/94 team would still be getting a run out and Lee Sharpe would start every game.

im guilty of this in my werder save i had brought hargreaves and anderson to the team on bosmans, anderson still warming the bench at 32/33 doesnt get many games these days

I also tried to sign ronaldo, I had tapped him up for 8 years or whatever, he finally went on a free transfer. fired my bid straight in onyl for half the world to try after me, he went to liverpool for 20k/week more :(

on a side note he seems to be one of the better real life players to hold his stats in old age, he's 35 i think now in 2021/2022 and is still banging goals in

I've done this on more than one occasion, especially bringing Febian Brandy back to Chelmsford City when we were in the prem. He'd got us there but never cut it in the prem, so I let him go, only to bring him back years later so he could retire at the club where he was a legend, and have him as my coach and eventually assistant manager for years.

Nothing wrong with the old sentimental signing, adds to the fun!

I don't make signings like that but I have a habit of keeping players for longer than they are useful, or just sticking by players who aren't the best in my team but who I like.

The most recent example I've got of this sentimentality is in my Lancaster City save.

In season 1 I signed Christian Nanetti on a free transfer, he was a fantastic young winger for the division and he was easily my best winger for 3 years. In season 4 though I signed 3 new wingers, all of them technically, mentally and physically superior to him but I continued to play him because he was doing pretty well and I thought it would be mean to stop. Now I'm in League 1 and he is one of the worst wingers in the league but he will still be my 1st choice left winger this season because i would feel really bad if I stop playing him.

Lol im the total opposite, a complete mercenary! Once my players have served their purpose its off to the glue factory for them... :)

Archived