What to do with those pesky kids?

Hey guys,

Just coming up to the end of my first (semi) successful season as Newcastle and I've noticed I have a few outstanding players who are obviously going to challenge for first team places in the next few years, but also a few players who may only be good Championship strikers and such. Anyway, my question is what do you tend to do with the latter sort of youngsters? Is it worth developing them to sell them on later or do you just tend to let their contracts run out?

I've never really delved into the youth development side of the game before, with a focus on training and the such so I really am clueless as to what the best approach is. Just curious to hear other views. :)

Develop and sell them... give them two year deals, loan them for a season then transfer-list... if nobody buys, let the contract run out (this is what I tend to do although if someone shows an interest in a player who isn't likely to make my first team I'll sell them without qualms..)

I keep some of them as squad players. If they're from your academy, then I find that they're unlikely to ever want to leave or bitch about a lack of football. Plus, they usually list your team as favoured, which I always think is sometimes better than straight up talent.

But yeah, if you really can't see any sort of a future for them, see what you can make.

Archived