The 46 formation (135 league goals with no strikers)

Hello...

Every year I try to come up with a nonconventional tactic. I don't know why, but it may have something to with the fact that I don't like being or

looking like the rest :) This year is no exception, and the result of my efforts is "The 46", also known as "the forwardless" formation. As always I

use the tactic without tweaks both home and away. I do however make use of OI's and team talks - do what you feel is right for your team in this

regard. This tactic has been created with and for Real Madrid, and therefore I suspect it won't work with teams of lesser quality, but feel free to

experiment. The style of play is rather direct and most goals will be from through balls to one of your wingers who will then either finish or pass the

ball to the AMC. Your opposition will very often try a lot of long shots against you by the way. Below you'll see the formation - it consists of four

defenders and six midfielders, hence the name "the 46".

The 46 (Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3 )

2iuuskw.jpg

I've just finished my fourth season, and this was the first season using this tactic. For a formation with no forwards, the amount of goals was quite

surprising. I won the league, the Spanish Cup and the Champions Cup. Below is the final standing in the league.

71py03.jpg

The most important players in this tactic will be your wingers - they'll be your main goal outlet. Speed and finishing are very important attributes,

just as the PPM's "cut inside" and "beat offside trap" are. My AMC is actually a good forward retrained to the AMC position - although good creativity

and flair is nice to have, the main attributes for the AMC in this formation is off the ball, finishing, speed and passing. Important: Your right

winger should be left footed and vice versa for optimal success. Below I'll outline the player roles - if you want specifics grab the tactic and have a

closer look - I will say this, though: I don't like long shots, so they are very restricted. Fast players might be needed to get the most out of this

tactic.

GK: Defend

DCR/DCL: Central Defender, defend.

DR/DL: Wing Back, automatic.

DMCR: Anchor Man, defend.

DMCL: Defensive Midfielder, support.

MC: Advanced Playmaker, attack.

AMC: Attacking Midfielder, attack.

AMR/AML: Inside Forward, attack.

Team instructions below:

294l8n7.jpg

Unfortunately it wasn't a perfect season, and in the following I will comment a few noteworthy draws and losses. Through most of the season the team

struggled a bit with complacency - it did get better in the last couple of months though.

First loss was to Espanyol at home - they had a man sent off in the first minute, and somehow that made them rather dangerous. Still, however poor, the

match should have been won: 0-1

4u9c8w.jpg

A couple of weeks later I drew with Rubin in the Champions Cup group stage. This game should have been won - no excuses: 0-0

2exot2o.jpg

Another draw came up - this time against Atl. Madrid. A close game, but it had probably been won if it hadn't been for a goal to Atl. Madrid that

should have been disallowed. Annoying, but these things happen. 2-2

2dw7nt1.jpg

Then the first El Clásico of the season was up. Again a draw. Barcelona had a lot of shots, but most of them were long shots which didn't threaten

much. Tough game though. 0-0

jhrfgy.jpg

The next draw was against Sporting - there's something about that team that just makes me itch. It's a wonder it ended in a draw. 2-2

9h8iv7.jpg

Then I ran into a bit of a poor run. First, after having won 3-2 away against Man. United, I lost 2-1 at home. United should consider themselves a bit

lucky though:

2a8olya.jpg

Then I drew with Osasuna - should have been a certain victory. 0-0

2h71m9w.jpg

The most annoying loss of points came at home to Barcelona - the second El Clásico. 9.2 rating to their keeper tells a story. 0-1

2qk0bxz.jpg

I use the largest pitch size available. OI's are usually weaker foot on everyone but the defenders, unless the backs go forward a lot. Hard tackling on players with less than 10 in the Bravery stat or on players with less than 85 % condition. Closing down on creative players and/or players who like to shoot long. If I need to keep a lead in the final minutes I change to "Contain" and shout "Retain possession". That's about it.

I'll try this with a lower league side because honestly, with Real, every formations works.

I have to disagree. You will obviously have an easier time with a team like Real Madrid, but it's not at all hard creating a tactic that, while it may get you a decent amount of wins, will fail in the big matches. Anyway, good luck - let me know how it goes.

A small update - after having a less than perfect start to the following season I decided to tweak the tactic a bit. The changes are as follows:

Grab it here: The 46 v.2

- The defensive line does no longer push up quite as much.

- The inside forwards now move into channels rather than cut inside (PPMs may still affect this, though). This means that right footed players playing on the left side of the pitch and vice versa is no longer that important.

- The AMC and inside forwards all have a quite higher attacking mentality.

- Passing style tweaked to suit the individual positions better.

- The Wing Back's roles are now set to "Defensive"

- OI's now set to close down D/WB LR if passing is <= 10 in an attempt to provoke passing errors.

That's basically it. I started employing these tactics after the 0-0 draw with Espanyol, and it's been working quite well so far:

r1edme.jpg

Below you'll see how the formation "works". Your team should create quite a few quality chances while the opposition is forced to take a lot of long shots. Of course some teams are better breaking through your defensive line than others, but this is the general picture. Valencia is one of the better teams in 2015.

24xideb.jpg

League standing after 20 games:

v7rr79.jpg

I have just finished the season and the results are:

t8w6d0.jpg

A few more goals scored and less conceded this time which is nice. I'm still a bit annoyed by the draws and losses as they usually come from deflected shots and sheer luck. Ah well, things like that happen.

Player stats below:

5pq1on.jpg

I have been using the team blend setting in match preparation all season, but will try the attacking movement setting in the next. Will be interesting to see if it has any effect.

If any of you have tried this tactic, please let me know how it goes.

Archived