Attributes v consistency

I've wondered this for a long time but what is more important?

Example if i have a player with 18+ in all key attributes which are important to his position and a hidden consistency stat of 5, is he better or worse than a player with 10 in all his key attribures and a consistency of 18?

Consistency is "the number of games, out of 25, that he plays to his very best". On those grounds, I'd go for the 18+ player.

So it's not he'll play brilliant in 5 out of 20 and terrible in 15, just he'll pay to the very best in 5 and varying levels from terrible to very good in the other 15?

I'd pick the world class but inconsistent player over a poor player who happens to be very consistent. As chances are he'll be better than the poor player even when not at his best, and when he's at his best those 5 games out of 20, he'll be unstoppable and a probable match winner.

That's a too stark comparison.

A player with 14 on his key attributes with 18 for consistency and 18 for key attributes with 5 for consistency would be closer. I don't honestly know about that.

That's more difficult to call. I'd probably go for the lesser one as 14 for their key stats is still pretty good, and he'd be pretty good most of the time. I'd know I could rely on them to serve my team well.

Whenever my scouts report a player is "a fairly inconsistent performer" I just don't sign him, no matter how good his attributes are.

What's the point of signing or playing a striker with 16 in key attributes if he's going to perform at that level like 5 or 6 times a year, and the rest of the games he'll just play like a 12-13, possibly uninterested and complacent?

Consistency is a huge factor IMO and just like in real life, often the hard-working guys are the keys to success, while the flashy but erratic stars will get all the attention and some undeserved cash ;)

Archived