FM10 Running on PC upstairs, can I play it from Laptop downstairs?

Does anyone know of a free and safe way for me to run my PC from my Laptop?

Basically, I'm playing a decent saved game on FM10, and having to spend time with the family is getting in the way. I know I could probably save the game on a USB device, and bring the DVD downstairs everytime (as I don't install via steam), but this seems like wasted effort, especially if I can simply load a program on my Laptop that shows me my PC desktop.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: PC is Vista, Laptop is W7.

First, allow remote desktop sessions on your PC. Then just start remote desktop on your laptop and point it to your PC.

There's also programs like TightVNC that lets you remote control computers but then you'll have to install that on both machines. Remote desktop should already be installed.

Yup Remote Desktop FTW, I do this all the time.

1. On the machine running FM, right-click on My Computer, choose "Properties".

2. Click "Remote Settings" on the left hand menu.

3. Under "Remote Desktop" (not "Remote Assistance") select the middle option (think the bottom option works too).

On the Win 7 machine:

1. Click Start, All Programs, Aceesories, Remote Desktop Connection.

2. Enter the name or IP address of the host machine (you can set options like default screen res etc, you can also enter the logon details and save the settings to a shortcut so you just have to double click it in the future).

3. Click connect.

If you run the game remotely, you probably won't be able to use the graphical match engine as it'll probably just jitter like mad. That may or may not be an issue for you, but why don't you just install the game on the laptop?

Because the saved game I'm running is on the PC, and I'm trying to avoid transferring that back and forth. I'm running Vista Home Edition, which may not have the feature.

transfering a save game is easy and wont in anyway affect the game, unless you dont have the game patched up on both your computers, a remote desktop is the best option but you will incur lag because of the connection, it really would be easier to just have it installed on both your computers. You can install through steam and it would make things a bit easier for you

I tried installing it on steam on the lappy and it was a pain in the arse. My internet connection is slow, and despite having 10.3 downloaded, it wouldn't let me patch it outside of steam, the steam download got to 80odd% before failing. At which point steam was quickly uninstalled.

The reason I want to do it the Remote Desktop way, is because I'm potentially going to be up and downstairs several times in an hour, and regardless of how easy it is to copy a saved game, this just isn't practical.

I tried installing it on steam on the lappy and it was a pain in the arse. My internet connection is slow, and despite having 10.3 downloaded, it wouldn't let me patch it outside of steam, the steam download got to 80odd% before failing. At which point steam was quickly uninstalled.

The reason I want to do it the Remote Desktop way, is because I'm potentially going to be up and downstairs several times in an hour, and regardless of how easy it is to copy a saved game, this just isn't practical.

yeah if youve got a slow connection steam can be a pain you could try a third party remote desktop liike i said before something like team viewer could work, but again you will have lag and the ME will not run smoothly unfortunately.

Wouldn't you then just be best of synchronising the save files between the two over your network? Sure, it'll take a few minutes depending on how fast your network is, but it'll be much less annoying in terms of playability. Or just load the save file over the network... The results will be far superior.

Archived