Scoring goals, very difficult!!

In my 2nd season with the potters, and I am finding scoring goals very tricky. 1st Season I finished a respectable 8th, but didn't score an abundance of goals, and this year Kenwyne Jones for example has done bugger all, despite me trying him as a target man, advanced forward etc. I am generally playing attacking and fluid footie with the formation being either 4-1-3-1-1 or 4-1-3-2 so with 2 wingers Etherington & Pennant, u would think he would score lots?

What am I doing wrong as the same applied when I had Tuncay, Fuller, Connor Wickham etc. Gotta admit I need another striker but Demba Ba is injured, but he wasn't scoring lots qhwn fit yet his stats are good as are Jones?

The one thing that bugs me on this game is the amount of info / changes u could make for each game, i.e listening to what your assistant says, changing width, speed of team etc and the strategy, how far does everyone go with this cos I am wondering whether I'm doing 2 much / 2 little?

I haven't played this since 2008, as wasn't fussed on last 2 versions but I do like this other than the these side of things!

Any advice is appreciated.

The one thing that bugs me on this game is the amount of info / changes u could make for each game, i.e listening to what your assistant says, changing width, speed of team etc and the strategy, how far does everyone go with this cos I am wondering whether I'm doing 2 much / 2 little?

I don't really take this in account. If I changed my tactics for every match the team would never have a settled basic tactic concept and the consistency would be very low. If you're experiencing difficulties you can always use the OI to correct little things.

About the goal scoring difficulties, usually PPMs help. For technically skilled strikers (good technique, finishing and composure) the PPM "places shots" is awesome, for strong strikers like Kenwyne, I recommend the PPMs "plays with back to goal" if you use two strikers and him being the target man, and also "shoots with power" if he has low composure. For strikers with great technique and flair, "tries to go round keeper" and "likes to lob keeper" are good choices.

On the older FM's as Sunderland Kenwyne was an awful player you should try to sign a fast striker. I find that even as a lone striker a quick player will score lots of goals and playing with inside forwards makes a potent attack force, although I guess it depends on how you want to play.

Archived