OK, who knows anything about Match Preparation?

Well, since there is not much talk on the subject I thought I would open a small discussion on how people think that the feature actually works. We have been talking a little about it over in the TTD forum but nothing has really materialised from any of the discussions, although there has been a few interresting aspects brought up, all in all it doesn't look like we have got any wiser on the subject (generally). How big an impact do people feel it makes in general, can anyone see the effects of what they are doing when applying all the different options in the Match Preparation? Does anyone have analysis on what type of formula is doing better than worse over a longer periode of time?

Normally when User's on the forums find (discover) something new they usually always come in and share, but in this field of the MP it has been incredibly silent. A lot of us are having that 'Current' tactic screen bug and at the same time there is the 'Current' tactic in MP which aids us in getting more familiar with the tactic, that maybe they have some sort of weird connection? A user named sjm brought up the question of what aspects actually influence the relationship to the MP, to deepen the question: where does it take the settings from that enables the gamer to get more 'fluid' with the tactic familiarity levels?

Does it take all the settings into account, even if you use a large range of different settings within the team (as the TC has in almost every tactic)? or does it just take the Team Instructions screen into account? The outcome of these questions can have a big impact on how we can deal with the match preparation...

I simply see it as a way of ensuring familiarity with 3 formations. I have 3 formations that are saved with individual player instructions set for each position. (players in my squad are bought and sold so that they fit the required role within there basic position etc.)

I changed from my usual 4-4-2 (1st saved formation) to a 4-3-3 (2nd saved formation) mid game and the team were comfortable with the transition because they had been training with it.

I already have individual instructions set for each player. Team settings relate to where on the pitch they play (wider, further up/back etc.) Therefore I assume the special focus areas boost boost certain attributes.

i.e if my next opponent is a strong one that plays a fluid, creative passing game I set special focus to defensive positioning. If they're a weaker team and I'm going to attack I focus on attacking movement.

This seems logical to me anyway.

I'd be quite interested to see if there's any pronounced differences in what people see with focus area match prep results, between top level teams and lower league teams. Have people playing as big clubs in the top flight, seen any noticeable benefits to using different focus areas?

At the moment, focus areas such as defensive positioning, have seemingly had little to no impact or benefit for me, whilst playing as a lower league team. None that I've tried have seemed to have any impact on matches that I've noticed - and I'm very observant of how my team plays. :)

I'm therefore tending to just leave it on team blend, which then makes the match preparation's usefulness, being little more than a visual aid to knowing the fluidity of my team with a given tactic.

I'm keen on the potential of this feature, but still very much sat on the fence as to its usefulness and benefits.

It's a bit crap if you ask me.

It's too simplified to make it an interesting add on.... but at the same time it's still an extra thing that you need to remember to think about in a game that already has a crap load to remember.

I have noticed it make any difference, but maybe it does.

I'd be quite interested to see if there's any pronounced differences in what people see with focus area match prep results, between top level teams and lower league teams. Have people playing as big clubs in the top flight, seen any noticeable benefits to using different focus areas?

I put mine on set pieces and I score a heck of a lot from set pieces. And not just from the corner routine either.

Although it could entirely be coincidental. I just havent touched it in 4 seasons for fear or runing it.

I put mine on set pieces and I score a heck of a lot from set pieces. And not just from the corner routine either.

Although it could entirely be coincidental. I just havent touched it in 4 seasons for fear or runing it.

+1, apart from blend which i leave it on till my ragtag team of mercs gel, i switch to set pieces and see a lot more DFK and IFK's go in, weirdly i havent scored that many corners lately.

You might want to read the stickied discussion by wwfan in the Tactics Forum. It's entitled How to Play FM: A (Very) Short Guide to Match Preparation, Strategies and Motivation

I have seen the thread & would like to thank him for taking the time to explain a few things. Let's face it, it is basically the only thread available so it's kind of hard to miss ;). The responses in that thread or just in general around the forums on the subject makes me just want to lie down...

To be honest I did try the approach of switching around in Match Preparation regarding your next opponent, but it seemed that my team just didn't get used to what I was trying. Maybe changing all the time didn't allow anything to settle, so really I am not sure that this was the right approach. How long before the match do you need to make an impact with MP because if you have a couple of matches per week you have only a couple of days to train the options. I think there are a lot more questions than answers and judging by a lot of posts on the subject it seems that most of us are still 'feeling our way through the darkness', and opening a thread maybe would change all of that. I am glad that there is some response, even though not alot, it appears that some are having success with it - which is a good thing and maybe gives some hope. I am concerned though about where the MP 'familiarises' settings from as it does make a huge difference...

That is why I started a thread, and that was to see if people do have an approach that makes empirical sense - whether it was the approach from the mentioned thread or a 'home-made' approach. The last two questions in the OP are going to be hard to answer for anybody outside of the SI towers...

Archived