Capello's Roma Tactic (3-2-3-2)

I remember having a lot of success with this tactic back in FM07 and 08 with Liverpool and Everton, but I haven't given it a proper go since.

The tactic is laid out like so:

------------------GK

------------------SW

------------DC--------DC

---WB-----------------------WB

--------------MC----MC

-----------------AMC

-------------ST------ST

Capello won the scudetta with Roma with this formation, with the likes of Totti, Montella, Samuel, Tomassi, Cafu, Candela and Batistuta. It relies on two athletic, ambitious but defensively disciplined wing backs, two enforcers who can pass the ball in the middle of the park, a sweeper who is conposed and a little bit creative, plus a trequarista behind the forwards.

I'd very much like to create a working version of this tactic, it can be beautiful if done right but I am not sure that there are many players in the database who can play in the wingback or sweeper roles. What does everyone else think?

Can it be done? Where would one start?

Further reading: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/09/teams-of-the-decade-10-roma-2000-01/

Hey

Maybe you should work on an updated version which fits the football anno 2010/11. I personally think that the sweeper role is pretty much outdated and should be replaced with a ball-playing defender with cover duty. I think that a 3 back defense with 2 "stoppers" and a covering defender could be build with the current players (depending on the level you decide on). I'm not a huge fan of wingbacks, especially without wide forwards to complement them. I would go with a DMC to stabilize the defense and then move the WBs to ML/R. Then playing them as holding midfielders that keep position and can defend or attack when appropriate.

You can shape the attack in many ways.... but I like the South American way (as seen at WC) with wide forwards that cut inside or dribble down the line.... Then a big target man in the middle with support from a midfielder.... e.g. GK, DCr/DC/DCl, DMC, MR/MC/ML, FR/SC/FL or GK, DCr/DC/DCl, DMC, MR/ML, AMC, FR/SC/FL

Hey,

I'm trying to work a tactic really similar to that one. here's a screen:

343w.jpg

I've moved the wingbacks to winger position as they didn't do much of attacking play on wingback.

I have yet to mingle with the players individual instructions, they are the FM one's but I'm really liking this tactic.

If you need more information, please do ask, as I am realy trying to succeed with this tactic and all help is really welcome

Troubles I'm having with this tactic:

the mid 2. I have settled with deep lying playmaker and ball winning midfielders, but not really sure that's the best bet.

The trequeartista does really little defensive play. I'm tempted to change him to advanced playmaker attack.

the 2 up front are a poacher and a advanced forawrd. still not sure about this ones.

I've been comtemplating playing moving the trequeartista up front to make for a flat 3-4-3. maybe with 2 deep-lying strikers and a target man or a advanced forward, a poacher and a deep-lying. Kinda waiting to see what mr. hough's releases to see if i like that configuration

the aldair role was more cover then sweeper role as just like zonal said The three-man defence worked because if one wing-back got bypassed on the flank, the centre-back closest to him was comfortable covering in a wide area, and the wing-back on the opposite side would tuck in, to make a back four. So if Candela got beaten on the overlap, Samuel would come to meet the winger, Aldair/Zago and Zebina would cover in the centre, and Cafu would defend the back post.

so i would i would put Aldir the center defender as ball playing cover.

the to centre mids aswll was dmc as most of there play came from wings to totti

was toying with this on fm10, and cragswfc make a few good points here, the mids should ether be ball winners on lowest possible mentalety or dmc's, since the line of 4 played deeper then would be the case in a 4-4-2 (just by looking at the players in use its kinda easy to tell)

in all honesty the formation should prolly be mentioned as 3-4-1-2 rather then what the thread title say

I also think that one need to go fluid to make this work (my formation was not fluid enough on fm10)

Archived