Retraining players

Has anyone ever come across a player who isn't too great in their natural positions and successfully retrained them to be a much more dominant force in another position?

I'm asking this because I've just come across a young DC with very good potential, but fairly poor stats for certain DC-essentials. Think he'd make a much better WBR/MR though, but I'm not sure if:

1) It'd be worth my time and effort

2) If he'd be happy retraining

3) If he'd be able to hold his ability to play in the new position, if I say.. try and teach him to play MR after WBR.

Any advice?

icon14.gif

Has anyone ever come across a player who isn't too great in their natural positions and successfully retrained them to be a much more dominant force in another position?

I'm asking this because I've just come across a young DC with very good potential, but fairly poor stats for certain DC-essentials. Think he'd make a much better WBR/MR though, but I'm not sure if:

1) It'd be worth my time and effort

2) If he'd be happy retraining

3) If he'd be able to hold his ability to play in the new position, if I say.. try and teach him to play MR after WBR.

Any advice?

icon14.gif

It's up to the player if he'll successfully retrain. A high work rate and versatility is necessary.

I retrain most of my players according to their stats and position. If someone's a ML, I'll train him in a MC position as well.

A rule of thumb is not to go more than one position away, either vertically (D,M,F) or horizontally (L,C,R).

As for your striker -> left-back... if he's very young, it may be possible. But it will take time for that to happen. It's up to you to decide whether to retrain him or just try to make him into a decent striker.

Just remember, each ability can only go up about 2 points a year, so if his finishing is, say, 3, he'll take a looong time to get it to an acceptable level for a striker.

i did retrain david bentley as a left winger. he was alreayd OK there anyway.

but he finally gets it on his profile M/LR

and then he says he's unhappy at retraining to be a left winger.

as fro your question. we cant tell if he's going to be happy. try and see.

if you retrain him and then keep that retraining then he will hold it.

It's worth noting that players can be retrained to opposite wings with no usage of CA points, but if you retrain a ML to MC it will use some that could have gone on improving attributes (I read a detailed study someone had done in the Tactics & Training Forum a while back, I'll add the link if I can find it)

Personally I like having players who can take multiple positions, so as long as they're not unhappy I'd go for it

Archived