What am I doing wrong managing morale?

About a week ago I saw a few people on here complaining that their squads were being affected by low morale, often causing big swings in form for the team. I haven't seen anything in the last few days (and nothing obvious showed up on a search) and everyone seems more concerned by the transfer system (rightly so, sadly) and things like long shots (not too much of a problem for me) and CCCs being missed. This leaves me with the feeling I must be missing something obvious with morale. As context for my problem I should say that I started a game with the big European countries loaded, started unemployed and got the job at a badly underachieving Middlesbrough in November. Had a reasonably positive run pushing them up the table and sorting out the squad, but missed the playoffs. Next season started with a few (not too many) additions and we looked great at first, but I just couldn't win away from home (after 8 games my home form put my 2nd, my away form put me 23rd). A bad result at home in the league, a home defeat to Sunderland (Premier League) in the League Cup and suddenly 3 away games in a row looked like a potential deathtrap. This turned out to be right as a defeat at Newcastle in the 3rd away match cost me my job (can't argue, as Boro manager losing to Sunderland and Newcastle isn't going to make you popular). Very quickly I got a job with Sheffield United who were near the bottom, after 10 games I've abandoned the save as I am yet to win in 90 minutes (2 ET wins in the League Cup being my only successes).

Briefly, my problem is this: Whatever I do with team talks, press conferences and private chats I simply cannot keep morale up. Two or three victories in a row might equate to a boost to a mixture of 'Good' and a few 'Very Goods', but a single defeat sends it crashing down instantly. Once it gets to mostly 'Poor' it's next to impossible to win. This reached a point with Sheffield United where at least 2 players per game (usually 4+) were either 'Looking disinterested' and so didn't run or 'Playing without confidence' and so misplacing passes and missing easy chances. Whenever I look at AI squads, regardless of league position or expectations they are the typical FM10 mixture of OK to Very Good with a handful higher or lower. I'm used to the occasional death spiral effect where a few bad results feed off each other to give a really bad month, but this is way beyond anything I've seen in previous CM/FMs. To some extent my problems have been exacerbated by taking over clubs in trouble where key players are in a bad mood and want to leave, but my first save was with Villa, just checking out the new game, and I found exactly the same thing (great start followed by massive losing streak).

Has anybody found the same thing and has anybody found a solution if they have? I've been playing CM/FM since 97/98 and while I wouldn't claim to be an expert and it usually takes me a while to get the hang of the new versions I don't think I've ever had a problem like this (i.e. if I knew it was my tactics I'd just keep experimenting, but I don't see how this could be a tactical issue).

i believe there is an issue with morale that is being fixed for the next patch, but generally don't be too harsh on criticism, offer praise on team talks, and keep an eye on any slight concerns they may have.

there is a thread on here about an exploit, where you tell the player you are going to rest them, but play them anyway but its your call if you want to use the easy option

Check your player personality types too, I have a couple of players who are very hard to please and keep happy. If you happen to bring to many players into your team who are 'volatile' or 'confrontational' etc they can end up having a bad impact on the mood of your whole team. Also players who very ambituous want to win every game and they hate losing. Check your players, get rid of the worst and try to bring in a few more balanced types to help even things out.

Ive found it fairly easy to manage team morale as long as I have only 1 or 2 players that need to be ... well, treated like divas.

An of course the number one thing is winning games, if a team isnt winning more than they lose you will have a hard time keeping morale up on the long term.

Not to say there isnt an issue, but after 4 seasons now I can say that it is manageable even without a patch.

Archived