Advice needed when taking over a struggling club

Hi Guys

Hoping you can give me some advice and maybe chat about your experiences with this. I am really quite successful from the start of the game, or when taking over a good club (for example when the manager has left for a good job rather than being forced out). But when taking over a team who has been doing badly I really can struggle. The moral of the team I take over is usually poor of course due to their recent results. I use my proven tactics , either 4-4-2 or if a good few good passers in the team I use the Kimz tactic which has worked for me. But my results stay poor, sometimes of course its just poor players but sometimes the players stats are good and I bring in good players but nothing improves. What do you guys do ?

Morale can have a massive impact on results. Sometimes it's almost better to pick a happy team rather than a good team. If you get some wins together, then introduce a couple of unhappy players here and there and if the results continue, they'll get happy themselves.

Maybe also consider keeping your star players out of unwinnable matches so their morale stays high.

Hi

Cheers for the replies, thought I would let you know the latest. I started the game managing York City, won the Blue Square Premier by a good margin when I was expected to finish mid table. It was clear we weren't nearly good enough for League 2 but up we went. I got offered the Hull job who were having an awful time having been relegated from the Premiership in the first season. They were bottom of The Championship in November, I took over on the 3rd November and lasted one month after 1 win and 3 defeats. Unemployed for a while I took over Wigan , again in the Championship, after less than a month again after 2 wins and 3 defeats I was sacked again.

I'll see where I end up next but my good work at York is being undone !!

Archived