Ligue 1 Reserves

As I understand it, professional French teams have Reserve Squads (not B-teams or affiliate teams, like Spain or Mexico) that mostly function like Reserve Teams in England, Scotland, et cetera, in that you can freely send players to and from those squads. The one difference is that the French Reserve teams play their games in the CFA or CFA-2 leagues instead of a Reserves-only league.

It has been recommended on this forum that anyone playing the French leagues should load all of the leagues, down to and including the CFA, to ensure that their Reserves actuqlly play games. Someone else can confirm this to be true.

As a test, I started a game with Ligue 1 only... to see what their reserves did. It appears that a Reserves League was created for the Ligue 1 teams' reserves. The players all got credit for playing non-competitive matches in this reserves league. Perhaps this is a fix or new feature in the latest patch? Anyone else seen what I'm seeing?

That's unusual.

I'd imagine if you don't mind loading down to CFA that those players would get more of a CA increase for playing in those games rather than a reserve league?

I've been nosing about in the French teams and the CFA - a couple of things I've noticed.............

1. Players from the colonies don't count as foreign regardless of not having France as a 2nd nationality, whereas in another league they'd be shown as foreign. This is in the top team and CFA team; in the youth team they'll be indicated as foreign.

2. The reserve teams can't be promoted from the CFA although they can be relegated to unplayable CFA 2.

I'd imagine if you don't mind loading down to CFA that those players would get more of a CA increase for playing in those games rather than a reserve league?

That's a good question. Would CFA games, even on a reserve squad, be "official" games? Does this improve CA faster than reserve matches? Wiser FM players than myself may have an answer to that. One possible problem with loading the CFA is that level is actually 4 leagues, a mix of reserves and amateur teams, all simming games, which might reduce sim speed on less powerful systems.

Does this improve CA faster than reserve matches?

Assuming the CFA has a higher league reputation then yeah, but I don't know the rep of reserve leagues.

One possible problem with loading the CFA is that level is actually 4 leagues, a mix of reserves and amateur teams, all simming games, which might reduce sim speed on less powerful systems.

I think most people agree that adding nations impacts far more on resources than extra leagues within a nation you've already chosen. But if you're already on your systems limit I suppose it could be enough to spoil things.

I think most people agree that adding nations impacts far more on resources than extra leagues within a nation you've already chosen. But if you're already on your systems limit I suppose it could be enough to spoil things.

If what I saw was correct, a reserves league full of games and the CFA full of games probably isn't all that much more processing to be done. The players in the CFA reserves teams would exist anyway, as part of their Ligue 1/2 teams, so it's only adding amateur squad players on non-reserve CFA teams.

Question: How many reserve teams are in CFA-2, which isn't playable/loadable in FM10? The Wikipedia didn't share much about CFA-2 teams, and I don't read French to look it up on the league's website.

Archived