Should I feel cheated?

xerez.png

I'm xerez and I am up 3-2 at zaragoza. And then that happens. I know a draw is a good result especially when I had 2 men sent off. Pulido is the guy who scored btw.

When it happened I was pretty upset but this save is really just meant to test out my tactic so I really am not as mad as I could've been....

So, is there anything I could've done to avoid it? Was I insanely unlucky? Or should I feel cheated?

You should feel that your set piece marking is not good. Look at your set up, but to me it looks like too many in the wall.

Trouble is that no matter how you've set up at the beginning, in this instance they are seeking an equaliser and have thrown everyone forward so you would need to have adjusted your free kick defending.

I'm sure like most you don't go that far when changing to defensive mode. This to me is one of the limitations of the tactic/ME interface in FM. If I use the 'shouts' to basically shut up shop then surely my free kick/corner/throw in settings both attack and defend should be switched to ultra defensive also without me needing to go in and do anything.

You should feel that your set piece marking is not good. Look at your set up, but to me it looks like too many in the wall.

Trouble is that no matter how you've set up at the beginning, in this instance they are seeking an equaliser and have thrown everyone forward so you would need to have adjusted your free kick defending.

I'm sure like most you don't go that far when changing to defensive mode. This to me is one of the limitations of the tactic/ME interface in FM. If I use the 'shouts' to basically shut up shop then surely my free kick/corner/throw in settings both attack and defend should be switched to ultra defensive also without me needing to go in and do anything.

this is why i don't bother with shouts anymore.

It's your set-piece tactics. Too many men told to get in the wall.

I figured as much......like I said i'm not gonna care too much about it......I'll make sure it doesn't happen in my main save.

whilst i am convinced that the game just "plots" for you to loose a specific game every once in a while - and will do anything and everything from getting your key players injured (preferably when you've already made all the subs) to having them sent off or playing nervously etc. all this despite your in-depth study and masterfully applied tactical game and motivation technique , great ball possession, etc.

yet, just by looking at that screenshot, i wonder how you feel surprised by drawing the match when you have what 6? opposition players laughting their lungs out inside your area.

It's a shame our players in FM suffer from a complete lack of common sense. I can't imagine even an amateur team defending like that, regardless of their instructions; a senior defender (like Terry, Carragher, Materazzi etc) would go over the manager's head and direct a few more players out to cover the danger.

whilst i am convinced that the game just "plots" for you to loose a specific game every once in a while - and will do anything and everything from getting your key players injured (preferably when you've already made all the subs) to having them sent off or playing nervously etc. all this despite your in-depth study and masterfully applied tactical game and motivation technique , great ball possession, etc.

Do you really believe this?

Are people still burnt at the stake where you live?

Do you really believe this?

Are people still burnt at the stake where you live?

i am going to give you an example.

i have been a very succesfull coach. i trained RM from 2009 to 2014 (5 seasons), winning the league all 5 times, winning the Champions twice, the Spanish cup 3 times, world cup twice and a few other stuff (spanish super cup two or three times, etc.). additionally, ive made the RM the riches club in the world, have an outstanding finance record and a budget of 180 mil. team morale has constantly been above 80%. needless to say i dont reload games nor do i use the editor in any game. i have also coached argentina from 2010 until 2014 winning one copa america and finishing 3rd in the confederations cup, and first in the WC qualifying.

so on to the example.

i am coaching argentina in WC 2014. playing against mexico in the knockout round. mexico is playing suspiciously well and with high morale - my morale is OK and my team has seen better playing days.

yet, in all my knowledge and tactical skills i manage to keep the mexicans at bay in a highly dificult match where my players could very well be playing for a third division indian team.

when i make all the proper adjustments for my team to finish the aztecs off in a lethal final crush, the game decides it stood up for my genious long enough. so after ive made all my three subs, i get TWO permanently injured players. additionally, half my team has been booked for smiling at the mexicans whilst they keep a clean record when they break two of my players legs (not even a free kick was called), and sent some of my other players to 40% fitness by constantly kicking them in an unsportmanship attitude that the referee fails to witness time and again .

i am going to give you an example.

i have been a very succesfull coach. i trained RM from 2009 to 2014 (5 seasons), winning the league all 5 times, winning the Champions twice, the Spanish cup 3 times, world cup twice and a few other stuff (spanish super cup two or three times, etc.). additionally, ive made the RM the riches club in the world, have an outstanding finance record and a budget of 180 mil. team morale has constantly been above 80%. needless to say i dont reload games nor do i use the editor in any game. i have also coached argentina from 2010 until 2014 winning one copa america and finishing 3rd in the confederations cup, and first in the WC qualifying.

so on to the example.

i am coaching argentina in WC 2014. playing against mexico in the knockout round. mexico is playing suspiciously well and with high morale - my morale is OK and my team has seen better playing days.

yet, in all my knowledge and tactical skills i manage to keep the mexicans at bay in a highly dificult match where my players could very well be playing for a third division indian team.

when i make all the proper adjustments for my team to finishing the aztecs off in a lethal final crush, the game decides it stood up for my genious long enough. so after ive made all my three subs, i get TWO permanently injured players. additionally, half my team has been booked for smiling at the mexicans whilst they keep a clean record when they break two of my players legs (not even a free kick was called), and sent some of my other players to 40% fitness by constantly kicking them in an unsportmanship attitude that the referee fails to witness time and again .

Firstly congratulations on taking Real Madrid to the title 5 times. A really tough achievement in FM10. Thats secured your place as a tactical genius in my book. Aren't they already the richest club at the beginning of the game anyway? If not very close, so this must also go down as a fine achievement.

Onto the Mexico game. So you are telling me you've never seen a game where the underdogs are motivated and the favourites, if not complacent then not quite fired up? You've never seen referee's have absolute nightmares and seem to favour one side over another?

Of course you have, they happen all the time IRL.

What happened to you in this game is down to bad luck and more than likely poor tactics. What time had you used all 3 subs by? Jose like 3 at half time and then stuffed with an injury? Why did you allow your players to keep getting kicked? Switch to fast passing, don't run with the ball, lower your own tackling so that players aren't straining themselves in these circumstances. I could go on.

Anyway none of it is because the game won't let you win.

Quite simply there is no logic in this being programmed because conning your customers in this way is the quickest sure fire way of making sure they never buy your product again.

Plus as many SI guys have said in the past, they play the game themselves why would they stitch themselves up?

Firstly congratulations on taking Real Madrid to the title 5 times. A really tough achievement in FM10. Thats secured your place as a tactical genius in my book. Aren't they already the richest club at the beginning of the game anyway? If not very close, so this must also go down as a fine achievement.

Onto the Mexico game. So you are telling me you've never seen a game where the underdogs are motivated and the favourites, if not complacent then not quite fired up? You've never seen referee's have absolute nightmares and seem to favour one side over another?

Of course you have, they happen all the time IRL.

What happened to you in this game is down to bad luck and more than likely poor tactics. What time had you used all 3 subs by? Jose like 3 at half time and then stuffed with an injury? Why did you allow your players to keep getting kicked? Switch to fast passing, don't run with the ball, lower your own tackling so that players aren't straining themselves in these circumstances. I could go on.

Anyway none of it is because the game won't let you win.

Quite simply there is no logic in this being programmed because conning your customers in this way is the quickest sure fire way of making sure they never buy your product again.

Plus as many SI guys have said in the past, they play the game themselves why would they stitch themselves up?

RM is not the richest club in the game to begin with. in fact they are behind valencia and barça in spain and rank around 15th overall. this is mostly because of all the money they loaned in 2009 to purchase ronaldo and kaká.

and this is the first time and save i play RM, so i dont know how it ranks in difficultly level in regards to previous versions. i just read many tactical materials before i got started.

and i know everything you are trying to point out in order to undermine my approach to the game with mexico.

i couldn't (and wouldn't) switch to fast-pace because i was loosing possession badly and to top it off had to restrain my players from tackling hard because the referee was being too trigger happy with my team. additionally, i had set up a team with very fast forwards and wingers and wanted to take advantage of the slower mexican defense (that played with a flowing philosophy) to open up spaces and score. and yes, i could have asked my players to dwell less on the ball but that wouldn't have helped my counter attack tactics and why should i suffer if mexico is playing 11+referee against my 11?

and no, all my subs were after the second half and before the 70th minute.

you do provide a fair point at the end though. i'll think about this.

It's a shame our players in FM suffer from a complete lack of common sense. I can't imagine even an amateur team defending like that, regardless of their instructions; a senior defender (like Terry, Carragher, Materazzi etc) would go over the manager's head and direct a few more players out to cover the danger.

The funny thing is that a couple games ago I had a play who had scored twice step up to take a penalty even though I had pre-selected another player to do so. So players do override instructions.

In this situation I just thought they would have at least marked the guys who were directly in front of goal. I even have one guy who wasn't even marking anyone.

RM is not the richest club in the game to begin with. in fact they are behind valencia and barça in spain and rank around 15th overall. this is mostly because of all the money they loaned in 2009 to purchase ronaldo and kaká.

and this is the first time and save i play RM, so i dont know how it ranks in difficultly level in regards to previous versions. i just read many tactical materials before i got started.

and i know everything you are trying to point out in order to undermine my approach to the game with mexico.

i couldn't (and wouldn't) switch to fast-pace because i was loosing possession badly and to top it off had to restrain my players from tackling hard because the referee was being too trigger happy with my team. additionally, i had set up a team with very fast forwards and wingers and wanted to take advantage of the slower mexican defense (that played with a flowing philosophy) to open up spaces and score. and yes, i could have asked my players to dwell less on the ball but that wouldn't have helped my counter attack tactics and why should i suffer if mexico is playing 11+referee against my 11?

and no, all my subs were after the second half and before the 70th minute.

you do provide a fair point at the end though. i'll think about this.

I wasn't trying to undermine your approach. Just providing tactical considerations for these cases. Clearly you considered these as not viable, so fair play.

I'm pleased you are considering my final point. It is the most important one.

Mexico don't suck. For that matter, most teams that make it to the world cup will put up a challenge.

• 7 months later...

It seems like such a long time ago but this pic still baffles me :p

I love how #14 isn't marking anyone. Even if I had men sent off, you'd think the AI should be able to compensate for that. Heck even if they were to leave a couple players unmarked, you'd hope the ones they choose to mark would be the ones sitting directly in front of the keeper lol

All in all this was somewhat of a good learning experience for me. I always make sure my marking on set pieces are sorted so I never have to see something as strange as this ever like this.

Archived