Small, Medium, Large Database

My understanding is that the size will determine how many players are loaded for your game.

With any database size the main players (especially for the leagues you are running) will be present but with a small database it is likely that alot of fringe players (especially in the leagues you aren't running) may not be present.

Yes but is it a very huge difference? At the moment I am running 10 nations, the first 2 leagues of each with a large database, and although its not slow, I am afraid that after some seasons it will be.

I would also be interested in adding more nations and lower the database size, but I do not know what the concequences would be exactly, like what kind of players will be ommitted? Regens, youngsters?

The number of players loaded wil be displayed when you change the database size so that will give you an indication.

I'm not sure if you can calculate exactly the difference it will make to players but in my experience regens will obviously still occur as will youngsters but just not the volume if you had a huge database.

I wouldn't neccesarily say ALL the players will be loaded from those nations (if you run the leagues, but they should all load if you choose the 'load all players from x nation' option).

I think what does happen though is that players from more obscure continents/leagues will not load.

ah ok, and to tell you the truth, I am not too worried that players from obscure continents/leagues will not be loaded. I prefer to load another 3 nations instead, since I enjoy the Journeyman game

The smaller the databse, the fewer players from outside the loaded leagues are loaded. Thus if you enter more leagues in exchange for a smaller database you will find players more concentrated on those leagues in return. Having a larger database allows for a bit more variation and choice when signing players (there is a danger that you end up buying the same ones over and over again for different saves) and helps maintaining a good balance for regens which are created according to the nationality pattern of your starting game database. Thus, with a small database you will soon find the national teams and even more their U21s of non-loaded nations full of grey players.

Out of this I usually prefer to use a large database and rather restrict on leagues loaded. But that's a matter of taste really.

What I do on top of that is to use an edt file that includes all players from a few top clubs in many nations. This way you have an even better balance. This would also allow for some databse sacrifices, knowing that for instance there are 5 Norwegian clubs full of players making up for the other Norwegian clubs having hardly any.

Hi jayahr,

Thanks for the info. I have always used a large database so far, and was keen on trying to use a Medium one and see what happens. The thing is I am doing a journeyman, and the more nations loaded the better obv. What is the edt file all about? Never heard of.

You also said "there is a danger that you end up buying the same ones over and over again for different saves". I was going to use the Medium database just for the journeyman. If I decide to try another challenge which involves less countries, then I will start a new game, with Large Database

Thanks for your help mate

It is important to understand that it matters WHICH countries you are loading to impact the size of the database. A quick test is to load just the United States (MLS) with each of the possible small, medium and large databases. You will see no change in the actual player count loaded. Try the same exercise with England and load it down to BSN/BSS. You will get a large variation in the amount of players loaded dependent on the size of the database selected. This indicates that certain countries have a default number of players to be loaded based on the size of the database selected whereas other countries simply have all (or nearly all) loaded regardless of the size of the database.

Hi jayahr,

Thanks for the info. I have always used a large database so far, and was keen on trying to use a Medium one and see what happens. The thing is I am doing a journeyman, and the more nations loaded the better obv. What is the edt file all about? Never heard of.

You also said "there is a danger that you end up buying the same ones over and over again for different saves". I was going to use the Medium database just for the journeyman. If I decide to try another challenge which involves less countries, then I will start a new game, with Large Database

Thanks for your help mate

I'm on a journeyman save now as well and I loaded leagues from 8 nations, although 2 of them are superleagues I created via the editor, combining teams from NL/BEL and DEN/SWE/NOR/FIN respectively. I find that this is perfectly enough to have great journeyman options. (in fact I have switched clubs twice so far in that save and both times within Germany only)

You can find info about the edt files, how they work, how to create and where to put them in th editors forum. If you PM me your email I can also just email you mine tonight.

My understanding is that the size will determine how many players are loaded for your game.

With any database size the main players (especially for the leagues you are running) will be present but with a small database it is likely that alot of fringe players (especially in the leagues you aren't running) may not be present.

I'm on a journeyman save now as well and I loaded leagues from 8 nations, although 2 of them are superleagues I created via the editor, combining teams from NL/BEL and DEN/SWE/NOR/FIN respectively. I find that this is perfectly enough to have great journeyman options. (in fact I have switched clubs twice so far in that save and both times within Germany only)

You can find info about the edt files, how they work, how to create and where to put them in th editors forum. If you PM me your email I can also just email you mine tonight.

Hi jayahr

I loaded 10 nations with the 2 upper leagues all, and so far so good. I have 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo T7500 processor and 4G RAM, so I don't think it should be a problem. I will have a read through the edt files then in the Editors Forum.

Till now I am in my second season with Semptemvri in Bulgaria, and already getting attached to them and their players, refused to go the Czech Rep with Olomuc. I wish to win something with them first before moving on.

It is important to understand that it matters WHICH countries you are loading to impact the size of the database. A quick test is to load just the United States (MLS) with each of the possible small, medium and large databases. You will see no change in the actual player count loaded. Try the same exercise with England and load it down to BSN/BSS. You will get a large variation in the amount of players loaded dependent on the size of the database selected. This indicates that certain countries have a default number of players to be loaded based on the size of the database selected whereas other countries simply have all (or nearly all) loaded regardless of the size of the database.

Great explanation Sean. That is why I loaded the top 2 divisions from the 10 countries I have active, since I am more concerned into managing mid to high clubs, rather than fringe ones. I wish to win the league in all the countries I manage, before starting another challenge

Great explanation Sean. That is why I loaded the top 2 divisions from the 10 countries I have active, since I am more concerned into managing mid to high clubs, rather than fringe ones. I wish to win the league in all the countries I manage, before starting another challenge

I actually believe that explanation is partly wrong or at least missing the point though.

You will always have all players from all active leagues in the game. The database size impacts only how many players you have from non-active leagues. Thus in the US there may be no leagues with players present in the database, so the number of players doesn't change.

In England many players from lower teams are still in the db, so a change of the db size will here impact how many of them are in the save and thus lead to different numbers.

Also which countries you select impacts the mix of people from inactive league who are loaded into a save's db. They will focus around the selected leagues. Thus, if you only choose European leagues you will have far less South America-based players from inactive nations than you would if you selected one league from there as well. That's another reason why oing for the English league in the example triggers bigger changes than going for a league with not too many others around it.

I actually believe that explanation is partly wrong or at least missing the point though.

You will always have all players from all active leagues in the game. The database size impacts only how many players you have from non-active leagues. Thus in the US there may be no leagues with players present in the database, so the number of players doesn't change.

In England many players from lower teams are still in the db, so a change of the db size will here impact how many of them are in the save and thus lead to different numbers.

Also which countries you select impacts the mix of people from inactive league who are loaded into a save's db. They will focus around the selected leagues. Thus, if you only choose European leagues you will have far less South America-based players from inactive nations than you would if you selected one league from there as well. That's another reason why oing for the English league in the example triggers bigger changes than going for a league with not too many others around it.

Cool! I was reading in another thread that with the specs I have, I can run pretty much anything I want. But its good to know what the diff between a medium and large DB is. So as I am at the moment should not result in any problems. Thought I am tempted to one day start a new game with most of the leagues playable and Medium DB, and see the performance.

[Your reply]...Hence, loading different countries impacts the size of the database. That was and is my point. Loading countries with fewer non-active leagues (a side-point that I never argued against) will have less overall impact on the player count regardless of database size than loading countries such as England or Spain. Also, I re-read the OP to see if I misunderstood its intent. I did not miss their point as my post is not contradictory to their request. I don't really see where you got me missing the point from, but we can just agree to disagree. I still contend that loading different countries has a big impact on player count too...

[Your reply]...Hence, loading different countries impacts the size of the database. That was and is my point. Loading countries with fewer non-active leagues (a side-point that I never argued against) will have less overall impact on the player count regardless of database size than loading countries such as England or Spain. Also, I re-read the OP to see if I misunderstood its intent. I did not miss their point as my post is not contradictory to their request. I don't really see where you got me missing the point from, but we can just agree to disagree. I still contend that loading different countries has a big impact on player count too...

Maybe I phrased it oddly. I was just missing the explanation of the correct reason for the perfectly sound observation you provided. :)

Archived