Formation Type

Hi guys,

After having a relatively successful campaign with my Sheffield Wednesday team... getting them promoted and each year getting better positions... never managed to challenge for europe or even the league but considering its Sheffield Wednesday... i did well.

Anyway i did this with a pretty simple 4-1-3-2 formation. Changing it depending who i played. Is this wise?

Im about to start a new game and am deciding what tactics i should go with.

Is it a good idea to use 1 formation home and away? just changing the tactics slightly or would you use a completely different formation when playing away????

Im stumped with this one as its hard to decide whether my players would gel with 2 formations that are completely different.

I think it would depend on the formation. For example if it was a balanced type of formation such as 4-1-2-1-2 then it would be alright to use home and away but then if it's a more of attacking formation then it may be better to consider changing it when playing away/against a good team. I've personally started playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation (2 CMs 3 AMs) but change it to 4-5-1 if I'm facing a tougher opponent.

There was a pool on FM 2009 about formations, and the favorite one was 4-4-2. I still use this one, but lately have been playing with 4-1-3-1 with mixed results: but the striker has to be good otherwise you won't score.

There was a pool on FM 2009 about formations, and the favorite one was 4-4-2. I still use this one, but lately have been playing with 4-1-3-1 with mixed results: but the striker has to be good otherwise you won't score.

Perhaps you'd score more if you played with 11 men instead of ten?

Archived