The corner-cheat

Why is it a cheat?

My first corner-tactic in FM10 was to use 4 players marking GK and 2 players flick on near post, 1 outside area and 2 in defence.

Aiming for 1 post. I discoverd that you can`t have more than 2 at one "area". They ignore instructions if more than 2. (guess it`s for balance in game)

In real life I know about tactics almost the same.(if you have the 4 biggest humans on your team stand in front of goalkeeper, blocking him and if they stay togehter it`s really hard for defending team to mark them. Even if they do a perfect corner kurved towards goalkeeper can be dangerous.

The result in FM was 2 flick on first, 2 attack first 2 attack far, 1 outside area. Stil aiming for nearest post. If the 4 players on first can`t hit goal with header or flick, the two on far can do the finishing.

I don`t score every match, but quite often.

Some teams in real life are very effective on set piece, some are not. All depending on tactics and players.

Look at Norway in 80-90`s. Huge players like Rune Bratseth, Jostein Flo, Tore Andrè Flo, Ronny Johnsen. Also having the best left foot in europe at the time in Stig Inge Bjørnebye taking set pieces.

Don`t fotget the Norway-boss Egil "drillo" Olsen. Master tactician who planned the whole thing.

We where very dangerous with set piece.

It's a cheat, not because the player is in space, but because the match engine doesn't allow the opposition to realise the ball is obviously going to the unmarked player, meaning they don't close that player down until the ball is at his feet.

By which time, the player has about four seconds to control, pick his spot and fire in. Combined with the "Shoots with Power" PPM, this invariably results in a goal.

So it's a cheat because it exploits a weakness in the match engine.

Actually, reading your post again, I think you're talking about an altogether different set-up than the corner exploit!!!

there's a difference between being effective and straight out exploiting the ME to gain an unfair advantage by using the "corner exploit" so regularly talked about (at least a goal every game directly from a corner)

Don`t fotget the Norway-boss Egil "drillo" Olsen. Master tactician who planned the whole thing.

Yes, he was a fantastic tactician. For rugby.

Seriously, the stuff Norway and Wimbledon played was utterly awful (just like the football of anyone who's listened to Charles Reep.

Actually, reading your post again, I think you're talking about an altogether different set-up than the corner exploit!!!
It's not the FM10 exploit, but it looks like an elaboration of the old FM09 exploit (set tall players to challenge GK and whip ball into the 6yd area)...which probably explains why he said that his "first corner-tactic in FM10" was to have 4 players set to challenge GK - he was probably expecting that particular exploit to still be in the new game :D

Your not actually abusing the exploit. For reference, if you were using the exploit you would always have a free man outside the box unmarked on every corner, and he will always get a free shot at goal.

Or if that man is Cesc Fabregas, you will always get a goal :D

Archived