Newby questions

I am not only new to FM, but also new to soccer.

In other words just another clueless American.

So far I am completely hooked and have been playing non-stop for weeks.

I do have two questions

* faces - I am familiar with the interface from years playing OOTP, but 95% of my players don't have faces. Are their facepacks - or ways to use facegen to generate them the way you can in OOTP. I have been looking, but so far with no luck.

* tactics - I enjoy picking the lineups, but am as completley clueless as possible when it comes to tactics. Is there a way to delegate the tactical decisions to one of my coaches?

sorry, thought of one other question.

in regards to the world cup - I am managing Arsenal (what can I say I have read all of Nick Hornby's books) when the world cup rolls around - is it possible someone will offer me a job for the world cup or is that unrealistic. Also if it is a possibility how exactly would I know I was being offered?

faces you can find here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=127827

Now you can't delegate tactics, but what you do is read something that'll help you out. Here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=159310

thank you - much appreciated. although just a brief glance at the tactics has my head swimming. I have coached American football for 25 years - but this is all very very new to me.

in regards to the world cup - I am managing Arsenal (what can I say I have read all of Nick Hornby's books) when the world cup rolls around - is it possible someone will offer me a job for the world cup or is that unrealistic. Also if it is a possibility how exactly would I know I was being offered?

If your reputation is good enough someone might offer you a job, you'll find this in your inbox where you get every other piece of news.

I've personally never been offered one, but I am managing England right now. I got a piece of news in my inbox saying the manager of England had been sacked. So I applied (right click on England and choose Apply for Job) and got it a few days later.

It's not unrealistic to be offered an international job, but if a team is on course to reach a World Cup or already qualified it's unlikely they will sack their manager prior to the competition starting. Your best bet would be to keep an eye on any international managerial casualties, and then try to lead a nation to the World Cup yourself. You wouldn't need to quit your Arsenal job to do this either.

Good luck! :thup:

thank you - much appreciated. although just a brief glance at the tactics has my head swimming. I have coached American football for 25 years - but this is all very very new to me.

You might want to try the ready made tactics in the Tactics and Training forum til you get a handle on things.

Have you given the tactics creator a go?

its probably unlikely that you will be able to get a job at a world cup team right before the world cup begins but often you can pick up an international job right after as the countries that underperform will probably sack their managers.

Sure you will have to wait another 4 years for the next wc but you can spend that time building a sqaud that you like by selecting various players in friendlies and other international competitions.

Welcome to the game!

You might want to try the ready made tactics in the Tactics and Training forum til you get a handle on things.

Have you given the tactics creator a go?

I did use the tactics creator and found it useful - except for the part where I didn't understand anything I was doing. It would be nice to delegate that part, but oh well. I am 32-5-4 without knowing what I am doing, hopefully I will pick it up as time goes on. I did download that mega ebook and maybe that will help.

thanks to everyone for the help - much appreciated.

After you play a few seasons you'll have a better grasp of everything. If something confuses you, search around on these forums or if it's just relating to the game of soccer in general you can try Google.

Try and explore all the features in the game (such as corner taking positions, training, scouting, tutoring and player interaction, etc). Trial and error and continuous playing/exploration will make you very familiar and comfortable with the game. Cheers.

I did use the tactics creator and found it useful - except for the part where I didn't understand anything I was doing. It would be nice to delegate that part, but oh well. I am 32-5-4 without knowing what I am doing, hopefully I will pick it up as time goes on. I did download that mega ebook and maybe that will help.

thanks to everyone for the help - much appreciated.

I think with that record we should be asking you for tactics tips.

You need Reggie Bush as an AM, Marques Coulston up front as an all out striker, try sticking Vince Young as an all encompassing Defensive Midfielder and get the Bolt's Defensive line as your back 4. Am I getting confused here? :)

I would assume you could apply American Football's tactical nous to FM in some way - Formations are pretty simple, then think about mentalities etc, and how they work when you were coaching American Footy, I would assume they would have same desired effect in FM.

The big book o' tactics is damn good, or failing that, why not go to the tactics forum and download some of them that other people have put on here ( I would really reccommend the Joint Venture, and the +/- tactics.) Take a look at what they do to your team, see the settings, try and get your head around what it all means and how they impact on your team's performances, and even if you cant ask questions or search on these forums, plenty of good advice.

Use your scouts to find decent players, even if you dont have a clue who they are, use their stats as a guide.

I find playing FM helps you pick up a better understanding of real football, when your'e watching games in real you'll always be thinking about how they do in FM, or about wanting to pick them up in FM.

Welcome to a world far more addictive than most illegal drugs (not that I know about illegal drugs BTW, its a guess!).

• 3 weeks later...
You need Reggie Bush as an AM, Marques Coulston up front as an all out striker, try sticking Vince Young as an all encompassing Defensive Midfielder and get the Bolt's Defensive line as your back 4. Am I getting confused here? :)

I would assume you could apply American Football's tactical nous to FM in some way - Formations are pretty simple, then think about mentalities etc, and how they work when you were coaching American Footy, I would assume they would have same desired effect in FM.

The big book o' tactics is damn good, or failing that, why not go to the tactics forum and download some of them that other people have put on here ( I would really reccommend the Joint Venture, and the +/- tactics.) Take a look at what they do to your team, see the settings, try and get your head around what it all means and how they impact on your team's performances, and even if you cant ask questions or search on these forums, plenty of good advice.

Use your scouts to find decent players, even if you dont have a clue who they are, use their stats as a guide.

I find playing FM helps you pick up a better understanding of real football, when your'e watching games in real you'll always be thinking about how they do in FM, or about wanting to pick them up in FM.

Welcome to a world far more addictive than most illegal drugs (not that I know about illegal drugs BTW, its a guess!).

no doubt - watching games after playing FM and vice versa is rapidly increasing my understanding. Now I know just enough to be graduate from completely clueless to just clueless.

And as for my record, it must have been the talent I started with - because once I had a full season to muck it all up I am now managing an underachieving team and I keep reading that I am going to get fired.

Archived