Best Formation for the Championship

I am southampton and have just been promoted to the championship. And I am wondering what would be the best formation for me to play in the championship ???

Im Southampton too mate, and I got promoted at first attempt, playing a 3-4-3 but it would not work in the championship, so i have changed to a 4-2-3-1 and its working well currently 10th, 8 points off the playoffs after 26 games.

Managing Hayes & Yeading United since the BSP, I used to play an attacking 4-5-1 (DL-DR-DC-DC-MC-MC-AML-AMR-AMC-ST), but from CCL1 I had to switch to a defensive counter attacking 4-4-2 (DL-DR-DC-DC-MC-MC-ML-MR-ST-ST) because I was unable to score using the previous tactic. The 4-4-2 helped me solving the drought in front but giving more chance to the opposition to score because of a weaker midfield. This 4-4-2 helped me being promoted to the Premiership by 1 point with an average CH side, and I just finished 12th in the Premiership.

So, if your side is quite strong for the CH, I suggest you play with a flamboyant attacking tactic, if your players are promising but not yet above the CH average quality then start the season with a cautious 4-4-2 and make sure you avoid the November slump.

My advice; start with a cautious tactic, earn enough points to avoid relegation (around 40 points) and if in January you have cash, then sign some better players and try to fight for promotion.

You're starting with the wrong question. I've just read an hour ago an article by the inestimable Johnathon Wilson who repeated the mantra: formations are neutral.

What he means is the formation is neither good nor bad - it's how you use it. And how you use it should depend on the specific skills of the players in your squad (or at least first XI). This is the case at any level.

Archived