Gaining/improving reputation?

Hi guys :) i started with a sunday league reputation, unemployed. Around November of the first season the Woking job became available in the Blue Square North, I applied and agreed terms with the board. That season I won promotion via the playoffs to the Blue Square Premier. The following season I won promotion to Coca Cola League 2 with Woking. I am currently sitting in 14th place in League 2 half way through the season. My reputation has remained 'unproven' since the day i got the Woking job. Surely my reputation should have improved now? Am I experiencing a glitch?

Thanks in advance

Actually I've noticed that it seems to be harder to gain rep in the latest patch than it was before. I also started unemployed but in the bottom spanish division so I had the semi pro rep as thats the minimum you can start with in spain. Now I got a job with Ferrol and took them to promotion first season as champions. The Board thought I was untouchable and the fans were fond of me too. However as I got towards the end of the adelante season my contract was running out and there were a few managers being linked with my job. The wierd thing is that they all had a higher reputation than I did which suggests that I couldn't even have got my own job if I had to apply for it. Now this wouldn't be strange if I had selected the club or if I had done badly but I got them promoted as champions so either the clubs reputation went up more than mine did which it shouldn't but it is possible or my rep didn't go up enough from my promotion.

Seriously if a manager gets a lower division club promoted that was expected to finish upper mid table then there would be a reasonable chance that he should be able to get a lower to mid table job at a club in the division he had just got promoted to in fact one of the upper echelon clubs of that league might take a punt on him. So I don't think it's just you mate I think something might have gone a bit wrong with reputation in the latest patch.

glad it's not just me who's noticed this personally I always thought getting rep was slightly to easy before but I think they have gone slightly too far the other way with patch 2. It makes career games a bit impossible since your rep stays at a level where you couldn't even get your own job again after you have done well never mind trade your success into a better job like it works in reality and has always worked in FM too. In patch one I had a southampton game when I took them from league 1 to the prem and I got loads of offers even before I won the league with them.

Would be nice to have a word from SI just to confirm it is not our imagination and rep gain really has been adjusted

glad it's not just me who's noticed this personally I always thought getting rep was slightly to easy before but I think they have gone slightly too far the other way with patch 2. It makes career games a bit impossible since your rep stays at a level where you couldn't even get your own job again after you have done well never mind trade your success into a better job like it works in reality and has always worked in FM too. In patch one I had a southampton game when I took them from league 1 to the prem and I got loads of offers even before I won the league with them.

Would be nice to have a word from SI just to confirm it is not our imagination and rep gain really has been adjusted

I've still seen no change in my reputation and I have just won league 2, thus meaning I have had 3 promotions in 4 years.

You've just got to think of reputation as literal. I mean how many people know the manager of the last team to be promoted to League 2. Especially if it was a person who had no previous football experience.

Not entirely sure I agree with that. Yes while I couldn't tell you who was the last person to get promoted from league two was I'm not a board chairman or even that interested in any clubs in league two. In short it is not my job to know these things nor am I going to get a big salary bump for hiring the next alex ferguson. However a club chairman will so he is going to pay more attention to this. Thus to me the reputation is reputation within the football community and anyway this is just semantics the main point is that reputation is just a means of measuring what job you can get within the game and your reputation should always be at least good enough to get the job you currently have assuming you haven't done anything to make it worse recently. Thus a manager who has consistant success and repeated promotions has not done anything to make his reputation worse so he should be able to at least get his own job. Within the current system of reputation gain this is not always the case and for me this is wrong. In real football, managers seem to gain rep much faster than their clubs do. Look at Paul Ince who was manager of MK Don's he got a job at blackburn on the strength of his repuation whereas MK don's are still considered a relatively poor club in relation to blackburn. Granted this isn't a perfect example as Ince was a former pro at a high level but still you get the point. Other examples of this would be Darren Ferguson who until he started to struggle with his club was being linked with jobs at clubs much higher which is perhaps a better example of what I am talking about.

Paul Ince and Darren Ferguson already had a reputation inside football though.

Taking it literally is probably the best way, you were a sunday league footballer, currently managing in league two, I, for one couldn't name managers in league 2, yet alone being able to name managers from the 4th tier of another country. Unproven, IMO, fits best in this case.

Paul Ince and Darren Ferguson already had a reputation inside football though.

Taking it literally is probably the best way, you were a sunday league footballer, currently managing in league two, I, for one couldn't name managers in league 2, yet alone being able to name managers from the 4th tier of another country. Unproven, IMO, fits best in this case.

Ok maybe I picked bad examples but they weren't really the point. The point was that it is now very difficult to move UP the leagues when getting jobs which is somewhat unrealistic after all whoever heard of a manager quiting his job to move to a smaller club? I'm sure it's possible to quote an obscure example of this happening but its not very common. Most job mobility both in terms of football and for that matter in real life involves people leaving one job for a better one assuming they had been doing well at their first job. In football manager this is currently not the case and that was the very point of my post.

He promoted 3 times in 4 seasons... he should at least be known by the "Local" community and football professionals.

Climbing from bottom to top of the reputation ladder is supposed to be hard and take a long time but after 4 seasons it "appears" that he still didnt climb the first step yet.

I say "appears" because, in fact, his reputation has already improved... just not enough to reach the minimum required for "Local". For encouragement purposes i think the first couple of steps should be easier to reach.

Archived