Football Manager related Depression and/or related Mental Issues

Hi All,

I'm not running a study (as yet!) of anyone or anybody, but just wondered how many of my fellow FM Fanatics have considered the mental effect of playing this great game.

Don't get me wrong. I've played this game from the age of around 10 years old. And I love it.

It may seem like a strange question to ask really, but personally I get so attached to the game it really does affect my mood.

I could go on and on and on about this, but initially I'd just like to ask if it's crossed anybody elses mind first...

It would be a valid point for a few games, but no - not FM. Solely because it's a "personal" game where you are competing against a non-entity.

World of Warcraft certainly causes many mental issues for players (and I play that game!), as does Call of Duty - basically any game where you play an opponent who is "live" will cause issues, especially when a microphone is involved.

However, the issues are relatively minor - any game is going to affect your mood as they're designed to, otherwise they wouldn't be entertaining. 99.9% of people have the button in the brain which seperates fact from fiction.

I just really find my mood affected by doing poorly, and on the other side of the coin a lot happier when I'm doing well!?

i think my wife and kid have probably been given short shrift on a few occassions when i'm in the middle of a match and losing! actually, i remember telling my missus to 'shut up for a minute, will you?' when i was concentrating on writing a new set of tactics!!!

mind you, i'm a grumpy old git at the best of times...

My mate get really upset after a string of bad results and starts hitting hit leg over and over again, occasionally headbutts doors and once after being relegated on goals scored on the last day of the season he headbutted his bin in his room at 2 in the morning, I think he needs to talk to someone.

Archived