Backroom Advice Meetings

Anyone else noticed this.

At a backroom advice meeting my assistant suggested it would be good to praise the squad as we were unbeaten for first 10 games of season (6 wins, 4 draws). The second assistant agreed with this so I issued praise..............in the news section the praise I offered was totally luke warm therefore at the end of the news story it claimed that my squad would not react well to my comments.

What is the point of having this option in the game. There are too many things in this game which do not serve the purpose of what they either should or intend to do.

The other one for me is the constant "harsh decision" on penalties. Every time you concede a penalty it claims that it was harsh but guarantee if you complain you get charged............SI please just take this out the game. It was the same in FM08, I skipped 09, and its back in FM10. Total waste of time.

It has to do with the personality of the players. The assistant manager or whomever recommends the praise doesn't seem to take into account the personality of the player when praising or he gets it wrong allot. Either way i never click the praise button anymore. For me and the team i am managing he tends to overpraise professional and determined players.

It's the weakest part of the game for me (although perhaps it's linked with how well the commenter knows the players and perhaps gets better over time ?).

My annoyance is when you get advice from your Tactics coach about who to tackle hard in the next game.....my Assistant Manager always disagrees.....i've never seen him agree once. Must be a bug.

Its like your backroom staff wants to mess with you, one of them says this, the other disagrees, they say praise and the player moans, they tell u to ask a player to change his game, the player gives u the finger

useless feature in my opionion and u cant even ask the staff to do anything in the meeting

I have noticed that my ass man is pretty dense. His in-game strategies are sound, but I have taken to ignoring him in terms of youths. He always wants me to cancel transfer deals for under-18s even though my scouts say they have the potential to be quite good and the deal isn't expensive. He also requests that I cancel pro deals for youths that are projected to do well. In short I ignore him completely on players under the age of 21 and ask my youth coach about them since he actually coaches them.

As psychocandy said, I also do not use my ass man's praise a player option from the meeting screen because he tends to overpraise. Instead I interact with the player and use the second-highest praise unless the player has been out of his mind good. In short, my ass man is an ass at all things but tactics and even then is loopy at times. Remember for many ass men there is a reason they aren't a manager, either they are too young of they're older they don't have the abilities. Why let him manage your team?

What is the point of having this option in the game. There are too many things in this game which do not serve the purpose of what they either should or intend to do.

It's serving the purpose that it was designed to do, the problem is that your staff gave you bad advice and you acted on it.

The Backroom Advice is just that, advice. It was never intended as a way to make the game easier. Sometimes the advice is good and sometimes it's not and it's up to you to think for yourself what advice you need to action.

In my game most of my coaches recommended praising some of the players but my assistant manager disagreed with the recommendation everytime and he was better at man management and motivation then the other coaches. The single time I did praise the recommended player despite the assistant manager saying don't it backfired on me and the player went from great form to playing badly enough to be dropped.

It's serving the purpose that it was designed to do, the problem is that your staff gave you bad advice and you acted on it.

The Backroom Advice is just that, advice. It was never intended as a way to make the game easier. Sometimes the advice is good and sometimes it's not and it's up to you to think for yourself what advice you need to action.

Sorry but you have missed the point, maybe it was the way I wrote it.

I agree I chose to issue the praise but what my point is, is the way the praise was issued. It was the extent of the praise. Obviously by choosing issue praise you don't have a choice of what to say therefore if this option is in the game then the game should issue praise which does exactly what is says on the tin......praise the players.

When I read what the game interpreted as praise no wonder the players reacted badly?

My point is if the game is going to issue something which you have no control over then if it has to do what it says it will..............if it had said "issue a half hearted message which will undoubtedly upset your squad" then I wouldn't have clicked on it

Sorry but you have missed the point, maybe it was the way I wrote it.

I agree I chose to issue the praise but what my point is, is the way the praise was issued. It was the extent of the praise. Obviously by choosing issue praise you don't have a choice of what to say therefore if this option is in the game then the game should issue praise which does exactly what is says on the tin......praise the players.

When I read what the game interpreted as praise no wonder the players reacted badly?

My point is if the game is going to issue something which you have no control over then if it has to do what it says it will..............if it had said "issue a half hearted message which will undoubtedly upset your squad" then I wouldn't have clicked on it

Next to the praise button is the interact button, click on that and you can choose what level of praise you want to administer, this is the way I do it and I've had no problems, whereas just clicking praise, as I was doing in the demo means you've entered the lottery that is the f***wit of an assistant manager (there's a reason they don't have their own club!).

It is backroom advice, and should be treated as such, otherwise you'd be better off goning on holiday if you're just gonna let your team do everything.

You're right in saying that that you should at least have an input into what praise is actually issued.

But I've thought of that praise button there being one that uses the assistant manager or even the coach who suggested the praise to issue it, kind of like a club's general press release.

If the coach or your assistant manager is bad at man management/motivation or whatever aspect is used for press releases then he'll probably use the wrong selection for what level of praise to use.

gunner86 is right. If that piece of backroom advice comes up do it manually instead of letting your Forrest Gump of an assistant manager mess it up.

You're right in saying that that you should at least have an input into what praise is actually issued.

But I've thought of that praise button there being one that uses the assistant manager or even the coach who suggested the praise to issue it, kind of like a club's general press release.

If the coach or your assistant manager is bad at man management/motivation or whatever aspect is used for press releases then he'll probably use the wrong selection for what level of praise to use.

gunner86 is right. If that piece of backroom advice comes up do it manually instead of letting your Forrest Gump of an assistant manager mess it up.

Spankie and gunner86 cheers for your comments.

It still sort of backs up my original point that if it serves no purpose then get rid of it out the game and just have the interact button...........I can safely say "issue praise" won't be getting clicked again.

This is really the first implementaion of backroom advice and there was always the possibility of issues like this cropping up.

Perhaps for FM11 SI should modify the Praise button so that the part of the player's interaction screen that handles the praise comes up and you select the one you want.

Archived