How to survive in the Premier League?

I ended up in 6th place in the Championship, got to the play-off final on penalties and had a great game at Wembley. Oh, dear! I´m in the Premership! I do not stand a snowballs chance in hell!

Expectation is attempt to avoid relegation. Budget is a about 6 mill. Team is the youngest in the league and probaly the worst team overall. Team report says one 4 star midfielder, one 3 and a half star striker and a 3 star fullback. The rest is 2 and a half stars.

I think center backs is where most of the money should be spent. I also need more experienced players. Tactics will probably be rather defensive and direct.

What do you think? What has worked for you? How on earth do I avoid relegation?

Check the relegated clubs, some times you can get a bargain. Also, I find that searching the player search for players with attributes that are essential for that position is a good idea. For instance, it would be a lot cheaper to find a player with the bare essentials to play a CB, rather than one with a few extra, potentially unneeded attributes.

With £6m, in FM09, I would make that into £10m-£12m by spreading all payments over 24 months (ideally £12m, but not all teams accept the spread). I wonder if you can make it into £20m with the 48 month option in FM10?

Anyway, my strategy in this position, as a Palace fan, is to bring in a number of free transfers in pre-season, and spend the money on just 3 players - a quality spine is crucial. Just do enough to stay in touch by January (about 5 points away from safety is OK). Then, in December, get rid of all your players who arent getting regular games, and bring in some players for low prices who have 6 months to go on their contracts.

Overall, this should give you enough leeway to have a squad of staying up, and at the very least, a squad more than capable of coming back up

Got a good Amc/left winger that ManU dumped on a free. Got a good quick striker (my best current striker is a strong target man), got 33 yo premiership veteran CB and a good Czech CB/DMC on very high wages, that got injured for 6 months immediately!! Also signed a couple of very promising 17 year olds, couldn´t help myself!

Started terribly but morale was pretty good and form picked upp after a couple of months. January came and I sold 3 fringe players for a total of 9 million, all to Scottish prem.league sides (player value really shoots up in the prem, eh?). I wanted to use that money on a quality CB but things did not workout before the transfer window closed so I got 9 mill burning a hole in my pocket! Then things got rather sticky again and currently I am 19th, 8 points from safety with 10 games to go. Looking doomed for the drop. At least Bristol City is doing worse than me....

Btw. I am Palace in 2016. I got 3 really good players coming on frees in the summer on really high wages. They should have a lot of fun in the Championship, but if we don´t bounce right up we´re bankrupt :-)

You have to invest well, building from the back is usually a good start. If you can limit the amount of goals you concede and have somebody upfront capable of nicking 10 goals a season you can stay up. Loans are always a good idea as well, if you can bring in one or two talented youngsters/experienced players from top clubs that gives you a good chance of getting better quality into your side.

The first two seasons are always the hardest, but if you scout well you'll be fine.

Archived