Steam installed on my PC without permission, FM10 won't run when blocked

Dear SI,

I was going through the restricted programs on my computer using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 version 8.0.0.506 and have found that, in a file in the 'Valve' folder (the company behind Steam) there is something called 'CHECKINTERNET.EXE' and 'REMOVE.EXE'. I have not used Steam at all on this PC for any purpose, and delibertly avoided using it, despite benefits such as getting the game earlier, no CD required, achievements and a bonus skin as I have had major security issues with them on a previous computer. I am very angry that a file from them, with a very suspicious name, has been placed on my computer without my permission. When I disable this programs rights and those of FM, the game refuses to load (nothing happens in XP, error message telling me it couldn't load in 7 on my other machine with the same issue). I feel it is nessecery to do this as I no longer trust FM. If I just disable the Valve programs, the game runs but at a very reduced speed. I would like to know why this program was installed on my PC and what exactly the reason is for the game not running unless it is given network connection rights. Could I have an explanation for this please SI?

EDIT: In my C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010 folder I have now found a file called steam_api.dll. What is this file doing?

Are you sure you didn't just click through the screen asking you how to activate the game? Steam is the default option, so that could make sense. I chose the other option and none of those files are on my computer.

Drastic I know, but

I suggest uninstalling FM2010, deleting these suspicious files, then installing FM2010 and double-check you are choosing offline-activation, and see if they reappear afterwards

Edit:

EDIT: In my C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010 folder I have now found a file called steam_api.dll. What is this file doing?

Pretty sure this is a redundant file incase you decide to start using Steam

The other files you mentioned arent on my machine, making me believe you may have accidentally clicked something wrong

Dave - I hope that was sarcastic. You know full well that absoloutly no-one with any kind of life is going to read the EULA, and I would expect that if I chose the option to avoid Steam, it would be avoided. DeadZone - I reinstalled immediatly, making sure that first of all the files were deleted and no longer showed up on Kapersky. I definatly chose offline installation. The files have re-apperaed, I blocked them and the same thing as before is happening.

Tbh, thats strange, as far Im aware it shouldnt happen as they dont appear anywhere on my system as far I can see

Wondering, what are the full locations of these files?

Also, it be an idea for you to goto the technical issues area of the bugs forum as you may get abit more help there

Archived