Please someone help me!!

Hello there. I am rather new to football manager and if I am honest...I am struggling.

I have started as Fulham, who do not have a bad squad, but I expected to be battling it out at the bottom and I am.

1st season...stayed up on the last game of season! Luckily results went my way and I managed a draw at West Ham.

2nd season, at the bottom again. I go about 3 or games playing well, moral is up and looking good. Then, we lose one game and that is it, we lose about 6 or 7 in a row. The thing is I can come back 2-0 down against Chelsea to draw 2-2, I can hold Man Utd to 0-0, but I play teams that I should be taking something from and I lose. I always follow my assistants advice. But there is a couple of things I am not sure what do to do to fix it. What do I do about my assistant saying "Our passing has been awful" and another common one is "many of the players are still struggling to blend in"! I have had almost the same core of the squad for 2 seasons!!

Poor results against poor teams and I keep changing tactics, but no change in results.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Poor results against poor teams and I keep changing tactics, but no change in results.

There lies a major problem, you really have to stick to one tactic for a while as your players won't know if they are coming or going if you change it regularly.

Otherwise look in the tactics section for some help or maybe the Fulham thread.:thup:

I keep changing tactics, but no change in results.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is the probable cause of a lot of your problems. A team can take around ten games to settle into a particular tactic and if you keep making sweeping changes to your tactics it will have a disruptive effect on the team's performance. My advice would be to make a simple tactic and stick to it through the rough patch, you should start to see a difference but probably not quickly, it will require patience and perseverance on your part. I'd also recommend not using harsh team talks when things are going badly and try to focus on encouriging your squad.:thup:

Thanks for the advice. The only thing I have done that you have said aboce before is the team talks...I have tried being nice, haha.

So for a team like Fulham, what tactics do you advise? Would I be better pushing up the backline and playing a passing game? Or Go direct? And is there a link to the tactics section??

Cheers

I played as Fulham once for a test run. They are quite flaky - very low gelling.

Takes a long time for them to gel properly which has a big effect on performances. My advice, try to keep things consistent, have faith in your tactics (unless you see something obviously wrong) and get to 'good' team gelling as soon as possible.

If you still have lots of problems at 'good' team gelling level, then you'll know that you're tactics are at issue or that you have some player issues.

Regards,

C.

Where can I find the 'Gelling' bit?? Silly question to you, but I am new to this, I am used to the simplicity of LMA manager haha.

And...does anyone use target man?? And Playmaker??

Depending on what skin you are using (right handed or left handed); go to your tactics screen, in the bottom (right or left)corner click on Assistant Report, then view the text at the top of the first box. It will detail some stuff regarding team rapport.

I only use target man if i have a quick striker fit and the opposition seem to be playing high up the pitch (easy to tell after about 5 mins), and then it's set to 'run onto ball' and the playmaker is playing behind him and the playmaker option is ticked.

Once you have spent some time in the tactics forum, most of it will become easy to understand. The variety of styles of play open to your team are almost limitless, and visually obvious.

Good luck.

Archived