Do chairmen buy their own 'big name' players anymore?

I remember a few years ago on FM's if you were at a vastly rich club (often real madrid) then the chairmen would occasionally demand 'big name' players and if you didn't get anyone well known enough they would buy their own, often extremely expensive and either brilliant or terrible. I haven't seen this happen once on FM 09 and was wondering if it still happens at all, anyone had this on 09?

I remember on maybe FM 07 as real madrid getting Steven Gerrard and ibrahimovic bought for me, was a good season.

Yea I remember it in 07 I think? It's a shame the game has dropped some of these aspects, they were the distinction really between big clubs and not so big clubs, you'd have your chairman wanting a big name signing brought in to effectively maintain the image of the club.

Now especially with some more eccentric chairmen entering the game, you'd only have to look at say a tycoon takeover like that of man city to expect you'd really need to sign a big name every 1 - 2 years to keep the board happy.

As for bigger half time oranges, I would love some.

Archived