the credit crunch on FM

The biggest question should be, what will Real Madrid budget start off as ;)

The biggest hi-jack of a thread is this ^^^^!

Im not sure i'd like it implemented TBH. It has been reported that throughout the recession attendances have stayed pretty level, and a player thats for sale will always have his price matched if someone wants to buy him. I think the effects have been minimal, if anything its put things that may need loans, ie stadiums, in jeapordy as clubs are less likely to be able to secure bank funds.

The credit crunch only effects clubs who have a loan to deal with or need to take out a loan to purchase players/stadium. The clubs who operate within their means are going about doing business like they always do. Like someone else has said attendances haven't really suffered because of the credit crunch.

I don't see that there'd be much point in implementing it unless it was done in such a way that FM had a basic 'financial cycle' - i.e., that during a long career game, recessions and 'boom' markets would happen in, 10-year cycles for example, mirroring real life.

Otherwise, you'd get a recession environment for the first year or two of a game, then it would be business as usual for the rest of your FM career.

I think the recession has affected football. Premier League clubs have reduced ticket prices, lower league clubs in particular have offered very big discounts on Season Tickets, for example, to try to keep attendances up to non-recession levels. So there's a gamble there that lower priced season-tickets = more bums on seats = the same amount of money as before, but it won't always work out to mean the same level of income.

Let's not forget that Setanta are about to go bust, affecting the finances of Scottish Premier League clubs in particular (who have already spent the money they were expecting to receive), and the Blue Square to a lesser degree.

Also, I thought that last summer and in January, there was less activity in the transfer market than there usually is. And apart from Ronaldo, we've not seen much transfer activity happening with English clubs yet. The market is going to be depending quite a bit on the Ronaldo transfer completing, and thus Utd triggering a flow of cash around the Premier League.

Let's not forget that most top-flight clubs are servicing a lot of debt (Bardock - how many Prem clubs are 'operating within their means'?), therefore I would imagine that in reality, most clubs' transfer budget is not made up of surplus cash in the bank, but comes from loan credit - and we know that further credit is pretty hard to come by at the moment.

So the only 'credit' that the clubs are likely to get at the moment is by selling a player - hence Man City & Man Utd will start things off, then I think we'll see some more movement start to happen in the market as other clubs who have sold to Utd & City, start to use that money to put their own transfer plans into action.

Archived