Can you influence how profitable the club is?

I'm managing QPR and in my first season I got 9mil to spend and each month the club made a loss so at the start of the second season i got 1mill. Ive managed napoli where at the start of the second season i got 40mil. I want to know if there is any way how i can influence wether the club makes a profit each month.

At the start of the season i added an extra 6mil and increased the balance by 6mil also. I had a similar situation with newcastle when i added money at the start of the first season and had less to spend in the second season despite doing really well. What can i do to change this?

Spend less money when you start.

Remember, the transfer budget you get is always more than the amount of money you actually posess. Especially when you start your first season. So if you spend it all, you'll create huge debts and you'll have to pay interest over the loans.

If you want to make a club really profitable, I find checking the 'start without transfer budget' box really helpful when I start a new save.

Wages, mainly.

Having managed Newcastle to three titles in a row I decided to take on a bit of a challenge in 2016 and take over newly-relegated Portsmouth. Although I was well within their wage budget I decided to sell on all the highest earners, simply because I knew what would happen. I signed appropriate replacements on £5-6000 per week, a veritable Dad's Army of Premier League refugees, and now have the sort of lineup that, had they been in their prime, would have been Champions League condenders let alone Championship promotion favourites.

Over my time playing CM/FM I've also learned not to use my entire transfer budget unless I REALLY need to, in fact I always find myself paying attention to the balance sheet first, and my transfer/wage budget second. Pays dividends in the long run. Of course it's not as cut and dried as that, sometimes it's worth dipping into the red for that extra player or two who can get you promoted or into Europe or whatever and increase your club's income, but it's always a calculated gamble doing that.

Archived