'We will beat you!' says opposition manager...what do I reply?

So 3 games into my season i have won first 2 games...

Next game is home to Exeter and a message comes up and reads...

"Exeter manager Paul Tisdale has added fuel to the fire in the build-up to their match on Saturday by telling York manager Nabil Eldin that his Exeter team are very confident of beating his side".

I can respond with the following:

Respecful comments

* Inform Tisdale that you believe his side have all the quality required to win the BSP match

Mind-games comments

*Tell Tisdale that confidence is high at Bootham Crescent and that your side fear noone

*Add to the build-up to your match by saying Tisdale won't get Exeter promoted

*Tell Tisdale that in order to go up, his side need to beat the big teams

Neutral comments

*Tell Tisdale that you have more important things to think about

Angry comments

*Tell Tisdale that your team are ready to hurt their promotion bid by beating them

Negative comments

*Tell Tisdale that you are relishing the prospect of beating his side

*Tell Tisdale that you dont think his side are worth worrying about in the promotion race

*Tell Tisdale that you dont think his side are capable of challenging for promotion

*Advise Tisdale to concentrate on a realistic goal rather than having any ideas of promotion

His relationship with me is: looking to come out on top if any mind-games occur

As a beginner to this game, i dont know which one to choose as it may have a negative impact on my team.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

I find it hard to predict the effect of each response at a new team. So on the first few goes, I just pick anything and see what happens, usually there aren't many players who care at all. After a few goes, you'll know your squad better and be able to chose more wisely, and maybe even get key players fired up the big games.

Or, you could just ignore it and do nothing!

I find it hard to predict the effect of each response at a new team. So on the first few goes, I just pick anything and see what happens, usually there aren't many players who care at all. After a few goes, you'll know your squad better and be able to chose more wisely, and maybe even get key players fired up the big games.

Or, you could just ignore it and do nothing!

That has crossed my mind - just do nothing until after the game and then if i win i can come back and tell him that my side outclassed him in the game.

To be honest. It's a tricky one, however when you are in the dark, with no idea how the relationship has gone it can be good or bitter.

It's up to you. You can say they fear no one. However it may seriously backfire, taking you even longer to work with/figure out team moral. Personally, I would lay low for a while, then retaliate at a later date.

Tell Tisdale that in order to go up, his side need to beat the big teams :cool:

You badly need to be able to slide down the touchline when your side nick a last minute winner against a manager who's been chatting crap pre match.

With a new side, I'd go for the neutral option - 'I've got more important things to think about'.

It probably doesn't mean it in-game, but to me that just says 'Belt up and get back in your cage, man' or 'I'd rather sort my new team out than respond to that BS more than I have to'.

The danger in saying nothing is that your team might think you agree, or won't stand up for them.

I find that saying "cofidence is high" seems to work pretty well, but ive had the same players for a while now so can gauge there responses better. If your not sure, stay neutral, or if some of your players have reacted to it then you may need to cunter it using what i said!

I started a save for the hell of it with Altrincham in BSP. Media prediction was around 21st place.

I've made it my mission to **** off every opposition gaffer. Every opportunity I have I take a jab at them and each one has a 'poor opinion' of me. BTW, my gaffer is a female named George O' Dowd AKA Boy George.

Hasn't really had a negative effect on the save. With 3/4 of the season gone I've alternated between 2nd and 4th in the table. Some of the squad even have opinions to the effect that they're happy I'm taking the pressure off of them. You do have to watch the reaction of some players to your media comments and adjust accordingly in the team talks if they are nervous but that has actually been fairly rare.

So 3 games into my season i have won first 2 games...

Next game is home to Exeter and a message comes up and reads...

"Exeter manager Paul Tisdale has added fuel to the fire in the build-up to their match on Saturday by telling York manager Nabil Eldin that his Exeter team are very confident of beating his side".

I can respond with the following:

Respecful comments

* Inform Tisdale that you believe his side have all the quality required to win the BSP match

Mind-games comments

*Tell Tisdale that confidence is high at Bootham Crescent and that your side fear noone

*Add to the build-up to your match by saying Tisdale won't get Exeter promoted

*Tell Tisdale that in order to go up, his side need to beat the big teams

Neutral comments

*Tell Tisdale that you have more important things to think about

Angry comments

*Tell Tisdale that your team are ready to hurt their promotion bid by beating them

Negative comments

*Tell Tisdale that you are relishing the prospect of beating his side

*Tell Tisdale that you dont think his side are worth worrying about in the promotion race

*Tell Tisdale that you dont think his side are capable of challenging for promotion

*Advise Tisdale to concentrate on a realistic goal rather than having any ideas of promotion

His relationship with me is: looking to come out on top if any mind-games occur

As a beginner to this game, i dont know which one to choose as it may have a negative impact on my team.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

Well, before the game i went with 'The Major' and told Tisdale that in order to go up, his side need to beat the big teams

I then won the game 7-0 at home! lool and decided to tell Tisdale after the game the following:

"Triumphant York City manager Nabil Gamal-Eldin spoke to journalists from a local newspaper after seeing his side beat Exeter City in the Blue Square Premier and said he wasn't surprised that his team had beaten a side supposedly gunning for promotion this year.

He also reminded the Exeter City boss if his side went up, to survive in the Coca-Cola League 2 you had to be able to back up your impressive claims with impressive performances on the pitch.

York have notched up three straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the Blue Square Premier".

Haha! then i got the following message....

"On hearing that Nabil Gamal-Eldin didn't believe Exeter City's performances were as impressive as they should be for a side wanting to play Coca-Cola League 2 football next season, Paul Tisdale's response was of an unimpressed nature.

When asked to comment on his team's performance in their recent clash with York City, Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale would only say that he was quite satisfied with the effort shown by his players.

After reading the recent remarks by York City boss Nabil Gamal-Eldin, Tisdale chose not to go down the path of talking about his opposite number's team, preferring to concentrate on affairs at St. James Park instead".

So why did he start the feud in the first place? Obviously it was mind games but it backfired pretty badly against him and the team i say.

Now a couple of the Exeter players are "determind in the wake of my comments to the media to prove me wrong and help get the team promoted" ....

Whereas some of the other Exeter players are "unsure following my comments to the media whether the team can gain promotion".

Seems like i have really lowered their confidence with my comments! hahaha! Love it!

The press conferences are boring, but manager interaction is pretty good, not repetitive nor boring and apparently does have a great impact on performance. Once you get it down and have moulded your teams personality so they all blend well together and react on a similar way you can really use it to your advantage.

Archived