shocking away record

currently managing port vale, season 2 in league 1. 11th in the league in december. quite happy with that but i have the worst away record in the league. played 7 won 1, drawn 1, lost 5.

is it wise to have a completely different formation for the away games instead of just a tweak? like a defensive 4-5-1 instead of my 4-4-2 for example? if it wasnt for the away games id be on the edge of the play offs, which would be rather dandy

Not necessary to change your formation, but your tactics should be different. Check out some of the threads in the tactics forum, there are plenty of suggestions for different home and away mentalities.

I would say go slightly more defensive (mentality and Forward run wise), quicken the tempo, lower creative freedom, put tackling up to hard and go on counter attack. This is very general though and probably against a team better/ the same level as you when you play away.

I am Port Vale in the second season and in League One. I'm not quite in the lofty heights of 11th but am doing better away than I at home! Try setting up to be more counter-attacking, play direct through the middle with a speedy striker (I use Danny Carlton but he's woeful) and have him run onto balls. Hope this helps!

Archived