Player/Coach

Hi guys, I've got a keeper at my club (shock, horror :D ), who's been brilliant in the season I've had him.

Unfortunatly, he's getting on a bit (nearly 39), but I want him to stay as a GK coach.

My question is when you can offer a player a contract as a player/coach? Do I have to wait for a certain age or what?

Cheers :)

On his personal page, it should say what his plans are after his career is over (i.e. management, coaching, etc). You can influence his decision through player interactions if you tell him that you think he'd be a good coach. In the end, the best you can hope for is that he takes some sort of coaching course (his staff stats will show up) and then you can hire him as a coach. For now, it sounds that if you want to keep him you have to sign him to a player contract until he decides to retire.

edit: keepers can last a while, and it may be a few more years for him to retire

You can only offer player/coach comtracts to players who already has coaching stats when you begin the game. Other players will only get coaching stats when they have decided to retire and it is only possible to offer them coaching/scouting/physio/assistant contracts.

You can only offer player/coach comtracts to players who already has coaching stats when you begin the game. Other players will only get coaching stats when they have decided to retire and it is only possible to offer them coaching/scouting/physio/assistant contracts.

If this is true then are you saying there are no regen/newgen player-coaches in fm09? Thats pretty ridiculous if so.

SI need to make the process of making players into player-coaches a lot more straightforward and organic, in my opinion.

Got to agree there. I like that you can talk to the players once they near retirement and try to persuade them to take X as a job but I've never managed to have a player turn into a player/coach - they only ever gain their coaching stats in the same season they announce their retirement so I have to either keep them as just a player till the end of the season or sign them up as just a coach. Maybe it's something that happens more in the lower leagues, where players tend to stay on for longer and show greater club loyalty? Can anyone comment on that? I usually only do one or two lower league games per FM version (because, regardless of which club I start with, by the third season I have almost exactly the same playing squad as I would with any other lower league club) and I don't stay down there for long.

Archived