How to stop conceding long shots..?

I'm really struggling with this. I was conceding goals from distance and from crosses but i've cut out most of the balls coming in wide but i'm losing games because i can concede 2 or 3 goals from 25 yards plus.

I'm just looking for basic, perhaps fundamental, things that other players do to combat that problem.

It might be worth experimenting with closing down for your midfielders, as if you put the opposition under pressure they are less likely to be shoot accurately

Well my midfield pair are on 16 when it comes to closing down. Maybe its the mentality? If they're scoring from an area of 25 - 35 yards then maybe i dont have anyone in that area...hmm

Conversely, is it that your closing down is too high and your midfield pair are being pulled out of position, leaving gaps for other attackers to exploit?

Closing down of 16 is quite high. Your midfield might be charging forward to close down over the halfway line and there's nobody left behind them to fill the gap. Set one of them to a much lower closing down and see how they work together, one putting pressure on the ball carrier, the other covering the danger area.

Conversely, is it that your closing down is too high and your midfield pair are being pulled out of position, leaving gaps for other attackers to exploit?

Closing down of 16 is quite high. Your midfield might be charging forward to close down over the halfway line and there's nobody left behind them to fill the gap. Set one of them to a much lower closing down and see how they work together, one putting pressure on the ball carrier, the other covering the danger area.

Yeah, i'll be giving that a try. Cheers

Archived