Counter Attack

I'm quite confused about Counter Attack.

When you hover the mouse over the "Counter Attack" button, the tooltip says "tick to play a counter-attacking" style.

What is a counter-attacking style?

I have seen my side counter-attack and score from it with the Counter Attack button NOT TICKED.

I also have seen my side play some nice buildups and scoring from it with the Counter Attack button TICKED.

So when should I tick the Counter Attack button? When I'm defending?

Not quite sure how effective the counter attack function is to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I still use it in games where I'm the underdog but in my experience 'counter attacking' in FM games equates to hoofing the ball over the top of the defence of a team that's pushing forward looking for a late equaliser/winner. If you set passing to long or direct this will happen regardless of whether the box is ticked.

Granted I play mostly lower league games so perhaps my players simply aren't capable of producing a swift, silky counter attack. Would be interested to know if the Barca, Man Utd or Arsenal managers use this feature to any great effect.

The counter attacking option is for people who don't really mess around with mentalities, or its for teams who play a more defensive to normal approach. By ticking the counter attacking box you encourage the team as a whole to break forward when under pressure after you win the ball back. You'll try and get forward quicker and commit players forward.

But like everything else its dependant on passing and tempo. If you set everyone with their own mentalities and passing then using the counter attacking option is rather redundant imo as you've already instructed them how to play. So someone with a defensive mentality is less likely to go forward compared to someone with an attacking mentality who will always be looking to play attacking.

Understood.

However, I want my team to play more forward passes. These passes has to be on the ground and it has to be fast in order to utilise my technical, pacy midget strikers.

So, my passing has to be direct and my tempo has to be quick. I'm worried that if I untick Counter Attack, my players will start lumping the ball upfield.

Glad to see u back Cleon and looking forward to your thread.

I still find it hard to understand tho, when I tick it I noticed the opposition gets far too many chances and I end up being the losing side....

Well it commits men forward, so for your system you play it sounds like it has a negative effect. It's understandable really, if you play counter attacking it can back fire badly when you lose possession as you'll have players out of position or too advanced up the pitch. This creates gaps in your formation :)

I use that option in most of my tactics especially if im a team like Man utd or anyone of the bigger teams. I find that if you invite lesser teams onto you more you have greater chance of scoring with quick breaks because there's less oppsition players sitting back, also can create some really nice football :)

Archived