"If football was meant to be played in the sky, there'd be grass up there"

The Tactic

2m461dx.jpg

Basically it's a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 that plays very attractive, beautiful football with lots of movement; hence the quote by Mr Brian Clough as the title.

To be honest, the tactic is yet to be fully tested but from the first ten matches or so, it looks pretty decent. Hopefully you guys will help by testing a bit more and giving feedback on what you think

The defence are there to defend mainly with little creative freedom, whilst the other outfield players have full creative freedom to try to create something.

All players are set to rarely run with the ball (except wingers) + rarely for long shots; basically this is to encourage the players to play through balls often and just pass + move.

It creates many CCC's which is why you need a good striker to finish the moves off, unfortunatley this is what I was lacking in this match v Middlesborough:

sg47yv.jpg

What players/attributes work well?

Well, WBA don't have the best players ever compared to some in the PremierLeague. But there are some attributes the players probably need mostly:

All players-Passing

All defenders: Tackling, Pace, Anticipation, Concentration, Marking, Heading, Positioning-Pace is needed mostly due to playing a high D-line and some sides may get in behind

DM: Heading, Tackling, Passing, Composure

MCr: Off the ball, Passing, Flair, Work-rate, Anticipation

MCl: Off the ball, creativity, high passing (above 15/16), first-touch, composure, decisions, finishing

Wingers: Crossing, Dribbling, Creativity/Flair, Decisions

Striker: Pace/Acceleration, composure, finishing, off the ball (basically needs to finish off the flowing moves; I'm lacking this slightly with the strikers at my disposal)

There are two tactics included, the home + away; there's not much difference between them both except the mentality and tempo.

HOME

AWAY

Please note that this tactic will/may take at least 4-5 matches to start to tick and play. Thanks.

i might go Man City aswell boingboing

i just read you were Man City and it put me in the mood :D lol

i shall also update after 10 games and use your tactic matty

but what about the tactics bars things, any of those slide up or down ??

And the pitch size ? what you recommend i pick ?

Cheers ;)

I've just took over Lincoln who are 22nd in League 2, but have a relatively strong squad for such a poor placing. Decided to start my tenure at Sincil Bank with your tactic, as I fancied this team wasn't as bad as the league standing suggests.

My first outing was at home to mid-table Barnet in the league which resulted in a 2-0 win. Scrappy performace from both teams and both my goals were scored i injury time.

Home to third placed Notts County was a 1-3 drubbing, which was much more of a hiding than the score suggests. I wasn't too downhearted by that result though, as they've only just been relagated from League 1 and will probably walk this league.

Next game was the semi-final of the Johnstons Paint Cup at home to League 1 Norwich. I decided to play the away formation and bring the defesive line back as my defenders are carthorses. A very tight game ended up losing to a 30-yard screamer. No complaints again.

My first away game was to struggling Rushden & Diamonds who were on the end of a 5 game losing streak. Til they played Lincoln. A 4-1 hammering was probably a flattering result for Lincoln as it could, and probably should have been in double figures; as Rushden had 3 goals disallowed for off-sides and missed one penalty. Everyone has off days though, no?

Home to top of the table Oxford for The Imps. Fearing the worst, I decided to go play the home formation as downloaded and see how it went. An exceptionally scrappy game ended with Lincoln defending with 11 men behind the ball after scoring from a first half corner and my keeper as man of the match.

My last game in charge of Lincoln was a 4-0 hammering by bottom of the table Darlington, with all goals coming before 35 minutes. Defence was all over the place and my striker was anonymous throughout, with not one shot on goal.

Despite the tactic not working for me at Lincoln so far, I will try it again with a better team as the donkeys of Sincil Bank just resorted to punting the ball up field to the oppositions keeper at every opportunity. I hope it works better for others. Good work though Matty.

Thanks for such descriptive feedback. Where were the opposition goals coming from mainly would you say?

With me I continued to use the tactic with West Brom, but was conceding to mainly crosses, so I pushed the two wingers back and set the away mentality a bit lower.

You say your defenders were hoofing it forward? That could just be down to the players stats etc passing, decisions? Because my West Brom side to tend to start the passing from the back, which is basically how I like to play my football...

Away from home, I've now lowered the mentality to 11, seems to be working better. Aswell as giving a free-role to the striker. You could do this, its been playing better for me so far...

Cheers mate. Glad to hear its working well. Are you playing well in these games aswell? Like pass + moving?

Yep, nice passing football. The only problem i'm getting is the other team sliding through balls in between my 2 CB's, so I think i'll have to tweak the D-line.

Tried it with my reserves in the milk cup and I got a good roasting from Sunderland 4-0 :D, so this tactic may only work with good passers. Or maybe adjust the passing SLIDER for the weaker passers.

Still going strong in the league though, P22 W15 D4 L3 (unbeaten at home)

Once a team gels and gets to know the tactic its awesome, its all about giving it time and making a few tweaks for certain players.

Yep, nice passing football. The only problem i'm getting is the other team sliding through balls in between my 2 CB's, so I think i'll have to tweak the D-line.

Tried it with my reserves in the milk cup and I got a good roasting from Sunderland 4-0 :D, so this tactic may only work with good passers. Or maybe adjust the passing SLIDER for the weaker passers.

Still going strong in the league though, P22 W15 D4 L3 (unbeaten at home)

Once a team gels and gets to know the tactic its awesome, its all about giving it time and making a few tweaks for certain players.

Yeah I agree, if you try to bring in the right players for the tactic then after a few games + the players are used to it, it starts to work fab.

Although work still needs to be done defensively I think. Just testing a v3 at the moment...

Glad its playing the good passing football though :)

Archived