Centre backs - help needed

Hi,

After using the TT&F thread and making some adjustments here and there I have at last got a fairly consistent tactic that does the job. Now, I want to tweak it further to get the best out of my players. However, in some parts of the team that I am less familiar with (I never played centre-half!) I'm struggling to find the best way to emulate the style of play I want.

I'd like to set up my central defenders in a Ferdinand/Terry style of partnership, where one is the "ball-playing" centre-half (BP) and the other is the "tough-tackling" centre-half (TT). The players I have are well suited for this, I think: my BP has 16 First Touch, 18 Technique, 15 Passing and 16 Composure; my TT has 18 Aggression, 18 Bravery, 15 Tackling, 16 Marking, 18 Strength and 19 Work Rate.

Question 1: Are there any other key attributes I should be looking for in these players to perform these roles?

I am struggling with tweaking their individual instructions to have them perform these roles while still retaining their cohesion as a solid defensive unit.

Question 2: What are the key individual instructions I should give to BP and TT in order for them to perform their respective roles better?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give on this.

I'm not entirely sure, but have your BP wandering up to the half way line. Keep the TT deep, and make sure the TT barely sees possession of the ball. Try to have the BP on the ball more often. So make sure your CBs have a good relationship.

Archived