Barcelona

Started a new save with Barce. Going to try and replicate the famous years under Guardiola.

Done a bit of searching online but there's a surprisingly lack of tactical analysis done on that team (or at least I didn't look hard enough to find it) However, going off mainly memory and a bit of info I have picked up I've quickly come up with this as a base.

Keen to get some thoughts on a couple things; At the moment, I'm not too bothered with the players, the squad needs an overhaul anyway so for now I want to get a base sorted then start building the squad. 

1- Does this look anything like that Barcelona team in terms of roles and instructions?

2- Never really played with a F9, would playing that with an IW see them getting in each others way?

3- For some reason, all my front 5 players, I can't edit their pressing in the PI'S which is currently at "less urgent" which I'd want to change, any ideas why it won't let me change it. 

4- I chose narrow to keep players close to each other to encourage the short passing needed and also to make space down the flanks for my fall backs. Am I right in thinking that would happen?

5- The DLP role would be where Xavi sat, I toyed with the idea of an AP instead but felt I'd start seeing my players push too far up and get stung by the counter.

Barce.png

1. Iniesta did not constantly try through balls, so he should be on a support duty (mezzala) or you could have him as a B2B-midfielder to keep him closer to the DLP and get those passing triangles going. The other thing I would change would be the AML - Both Villa and Henry played more as a wide poacher, so either a Ramdeuter or an IF-A would replicate it better. In terms of the instructions, Guardiola has always favoured width in the attacking phase to create space in the middle, so maybe play wider with exploit the middle could achieve that effect? Also, Barcelona did not counter much, instead they tried to hold shape until the final third, where Guardiola gave players freedom to leave their position, so here you could activate hold shape and roam from position on your front three. 

2. Not really, as the IW-A will make forward runs, while the F-9 should drop deep (in theory).

3. This is because their pressing is maxed out due to the extremely urgent pressing instruction.

4. See point 1.

5. I think DLP-S is about right, you can also try RP-S, but that could leave Busquets with too much to do. 

Edited by Vizzini

Thanks mate, that’s helpful,

I did think about telling them to hold shape when ball is won but I’ve always seemed to find that when using that on other saves. the AI get back into shape and it becomes slow and we end up losing the ball. Didn’t think about the roam from position PI’s so I’ll give that a crack and see how it goes. 

17 hours ago, LeeWHU888 said:

Started a new save with Barce. Going to try and replicate the famous years under Guardiola.

Done a bit of searching online but there's a surprisingly lack of tactical analysis done on that team (or at least I didn't look hard enough to find it) However, going off mainly memory and a bit of info I have picked up I've quickly come up with this as a base.

Keen to get some thoughts on a couple things; At the moment, I'm not too bothered with the players, the squad needs an overhaul anyway so for now I want to get a base sorted then start building the squad. 

1- Does this look anything like that Barcelona team in terms of roles and instructions?

2- Never really played with a F9, would playing that with an IW see them getting in each others way?

3- For some reason, all my front 5 players, I can't edit their pressing in the PI'S which is currently at "less urgent" which I'd want to change, any ideas why it won't let me change it. 

4- I chose narrow to keep players close to each other to encourage the short passing needed and also to make space down the flanks for my fall backs. Am I right in thinking that would happen?

5- The DLP role would be where Xavi sat, I toyed with the idea of an AP instead but felt I'd start seeing my players push too far up and get stung by the counter.

Barce.png

There are plenty of threads about Pep's Barca. You need to search better. You can also check out YouTube for analysis videos - there are some great ones. 

Also Pep had a slightly different version of his tactic in each of his 4 seasons at the club. So my advice is to pick one of them. I personally like the version during 2010-11 season as for me that was the best one. The version you choose will affect mostly the formation and player roles you choose. The Team Instructions would be pretty much the same either way, as Pep rarely deviated from his playing style. 

I would remove "Counter" and use "Hold Shape" instead. It provides more patient transition process and helps with possession. True to Pep's principals too. I would also go with IF-S on the left and Mezzala on Support or just plain CM support. The idea was to overload the right side and unleash the more attacking left flank. Abidal was more defensive to cover the left, while Alves was more attacking to help overload the right side. AMR closer to playmaking MCR and combining with F9.