How exactly are Newgens created?

I’ve tried simming forward on FM19 a few times with edited files enabled. Each time, any success my experiment may have is ruined by the lack of newgens being produced. On one save, I edited all the clubs in the database to have ‘20’ youth recruitment, but in the leagues I didn’t fully load, each country - not each team, each country - only produced two or three newgens.

it was worse in another database, where I created some teams based all over the world but playing in the USA. Although that league was fully loaded, and all the teams had ‘10000’ reputation and ‘20’ in all the youth categories, they produced zero newgens - even when I simulated many years in the future. Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that league replaced the USSL Div 3 as the pool where MLS draft players are produced.

So. Could someone help me understand how the game chooses to generate newgens? Does the league being loaded have any affect? Does the database size matter (I always load small)? Perhaps the team has to have a U18 team? Is there something I might not be realizing in both of my examples?

Thanks in advance.

• SI Staff

The game tries to keep player numbers fairly level, so if inactive teams don't have many real players that will remain - so basically loading more leagues/bigger databases will see more newgens to keep that balance.

34 minutes ago, EdL said:

The game tries to keep player numbers fairly level, so if inactive teams don't have many real players that will remain - so basically loading more leagues/bigger databases will see more newgens to keep that balance.

I see. Thanks!