This is a Joke

I always thought myself pretty good at FM games, esp 08. Would play as spanish sides, 4-5-1 formation, same layout as barca, quick tempo, attacking and short passing.

Now on FM09 it refuses to work. Well I've tried 3 season now and I always run into the same problem. At new year I was undefeated and top of the table. By March i had racked up 7 defeats. So my tactics always work up until the xmas break and then refuse to afterwards. I have no idea why.

I've tried various different options and none work. I always end up with shots, no goals and conceding like crazy. My team at the moment is:

Asejo

Clerc Albiol Fazio Del Horno

Veloso

Camacho Van der Vaart

Ronaldo Villa Vela

Any idea how to set the sliders? I want to play a fast attacking style of play, like what the computer plays as Barcelona. With the wide men cutting inside lots to shoot, no passes in the air whatsoever.

I've read the tactics guide, readjusted a few things, now I have 55% possesion, about 7-12 shots per match, still very few goals.

Thanks

man dont think like in real life its simply not working in this unrealistic game

Constructive, thanks. :thup:

I don't have much more to offer than is in the guide, unfortunately. Goals and great play are something that, to me, comes once you've got a settled, talented side who will listen to your everyword. Extra creative freedom and free roles, good use of passing and tempo etc. will all help. Unfortunately, for your first season or two at Barcelona, squad gelling and your own reputation may make that difficult in the short term.

I understand what your saying. I'm 3rd season with Valencia now. Haven't changed the squad for a season so they're very well gelled and everyone bar ronaldo listens to me.

Problem is mainly getting Villa into the game. I know it would work with a big tall aerial striker up top just hoofing crosses in but i want the front 3 to play like Barca's. Lots of interweaving, putting each other through etc but it's proving tough. Have tried creative freedom and 3 free roles up top but isn't so succesfull.

Does anyone know how to get them to play like that? Vella, Villa and Ronaldo all have pace, finishing, dribbling so it should work.

I'm playing a similar formation with a similar problem, getting all sorts of shots but no goals. A few things I've played about with so far...

Tempo: To see if they were rushing things too much and snatching at chances, this made no difference as they always seem to have bags of space and time but either blaze it over the bar or hit it straight at the keeper.

Who is getting the chances: I noticed that because of my formation my fullbacks often (maybe 3 or 4 per game) got chances and as they're not exactly gifted finishers I wouldn't expect them to score that often. Tried giving them a little bit extra training in shooting but no results yet.

Ask players to "Place shots in the corners": Players just said this wouldn't be of benefit to them, I'll ask again when I have more respect maybe?

My striker was missing loads of one on ones so I changed the sliders a bit so he would be more likely to lay off the ball to a supporting player, this had a little bit of success but the support isn't always there.

On player interaction. For some reason, villa refuses to score for me when one on one. Also when clean through on a couple of occasions rather than use his pace to bomb down to the 1 on 1 with the keeper awaiting he sends the ball out wide to someone on the wing who loses it.

On a plus though have started using the attacking TT&F 451 with a few minor adjustments and am winning now. Seem to be scoring from everywhere. Still can't get the mobile, interweaving front 3 like barca though. Have a very solid back 4 and midfield now though. MAybe I'm just used to the instant success you could get in 07 and 08?

I personally wouldn't bother with the individual slider settings because you can't have them more than a few places apart otherwise it creates gaps in your team and overrides / contradicts the team mentality.

When I read the manual (first time ever, it made me think about the crossing aspect of the game.) Previously I've had midfielders and forwards on often or mixed crossing, however it says that if midfielders are crossing at all you should consider where they'll be crossing from and if it will pull them out of position...because if they're coming from central positions, going out wide and crossing, there will be a hole that the AI can exploit as your midfielder is somewhere he shouldn't be. I took that as a subtle hint that any central player should have crossing set to rarely because they won't be effective enough if they are attempting to cross the ball....

I'm also not convinced that the wingers should have forward runs and run with the ball both at often because they can't do both. Fullbacks seem to work well for me with their forward runs set to often.

good idea. how would that work? could i tell both AML and AMR to swap with the striker?

I'm really not sure how it would work but I would guess that it would be possible providing you have the players capable. It may end up with them being completely confused but it's worth a try :thup:

I always thought myself pretty good at FM games, esp 08. Would play as spanish sides, 4-5-1 formation, same layout as barca, quick tempo, attacking and short passing.

Now on FM09 it refuses to work. Well I've tried 3 season now and I always run into the same problem. At new year I was undefeated and top of the table. By March i had racked up 7 defeats. So my tactics always work up until the xmas break and then refuse to afterwards. I have no idea why.

I've tried various different options and none work. I always end up with shots, no goals and conceding like crazy. My team at the moment is:

Asejo

Clerc Albiol Fazio Del Horno

Veloso

Camacho Van der Vaart

Ronaldo Villa Vela

Any idea how to set the sliders? I want to play a fast attacking style of play, like what the computer plays as Barcelona. With the wide men cutting inside lots to shoot, no passes in the air whatsoever.

I've read the tactics guide, readjusted a few things, now I have 55% possesion, about 7-12 shots per match, still very few goals.

Thanks

You say that you play short passing at a high tempo but in FM09 iv found that playing short passing at a slower tempo with less width works really well , or if you want to play wide then you should try a more direct approach at a high tempo. So basically i think that Width , Tempo and Passing are very important and you will have to have the right combination to be successful

okay, well what i mean is lots of quick short passes, one-two's etc, especially in the final third. I find that if you have short passing its easy for players to be closed down so I wanted to play with lots of movement in the team. Like arsenal for instance. I don't know if you would call it slow tempo because attacks build up slow or fast because of the speed of passing and movement?

Archived