Adapting a tactic after promotion

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing a bit of a journeyman save on FM 20. After getting promotions with Wycombe (to the championship), and then with Blackburn (to the Prem) I got sacked twice because, what worked for me in the league below just would not cut it in the league above.

I just got West Brom promoted back to the prem, after finishing second. I played a quite attacking 442, with high pressing and quick transitions. My team was on balanced and I used most of the "base" gegenpress instructions (i usually dont like pass into space).

My team would set up something like this:

PF (S)          DLF(A)

IW (S)       BBM          DLP (D)    IW(S)

WB (S)     CD (D)         BPD (D)    WB (S)

SK (A)

A few things to point out, of that 11, there are a few spots that I would say are crucial:

• DLP (D). I have Sam Field playing in there and, for my money, he has been incredible. I would like to keep that role, if possible.
  • BBM. I have Rakeeem Harper, I feel he is a "mini vieira" or pretty similar to what prime abou diaby was like, he got the most assists last season and is incredible breaking down lines.
  • The left IW is Celina (previously at Swansea). His overall play is good, but not great, but his set piece taking has single handily won me matches.

I am asking for a bit of advice since I have struggled a bit to adapt to higher leagues before. How would you turn this set up more conservative? Would you just go for it?

Regarding signings, I am tempted to have a go with most of the same lads and just see if they can keep me up. With Blackburn I tried to bring in new faces and I feel most of the new signings underperformed and ended up going back to the "old guard".

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

My team would set up something like this:

PF (S)          DLF(A)

IW (S)       BBM          DLP (D)    IW(S)

WB (S)     CD (D)         BPD (D)    WB (S)

SK (A)

A few things to point out, of that 11, there are a few spots that I would say are crucial:

• DLP (D). I have Sam Field playing in there and, for my money, he has been incredible. I would like to keep that role, if possible.
  • BBM. I have Rakeeem Harper, I feel he is a "mini vieira" or pretty similar to what prime abou diaby was like, he got the most assists last season and is incredible breaking down lines.
  • The left IW is Celina (previously at Swansea). His overall play is good, but not great, but his set piece taking has single handily won me matches.

I am asking for a bit of advice since I have struggled a bit to adapt to higher leagues before. How would you turn this set up more conservative?

The back-line looks okay. Where I would consider slight tweaking is the attack and midfield.

In attack, I would swap the duties between the strikers - DLF on support and PF on attack. This has nothing to do with being "more conservative" and is more about linking up play better. I would also look to have the support-duty striker (the DLF following the previous suggestion) in front of the DLP and the attacking one in front of the BBM. And the last change I personally would look to make is changing the wide MF next to the BBM into WM on support (instead of IW). So basically something like this:

DLFsu    PFat

IWsu      DLPde    BBM      WMsu 

55 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

I just got West Brom promoted back to the prem, after finishing second. I played a quite attacking 442, with high pressing and quick transitions. My team was on balanced and I used most of the "base" gegenpress instructions (i usually dont like pass into space)

I personally never play gegenpress even with top teams, let alone underdogs, simply because I prefer more sensible tactical styles. But given that the ME is not perfect, I would not dare to claim that a gegenpress-based tactic (or something similarly aggressive and gung-ho) cannot work even for an underdog team. Stranger things have happened in this game, obviously :D

Joking aside, it's hard to tell you which exact style of football you should look to implement as a newcomer to the EPL, but common sense would definitely suggest something less adventurous and more conservative, albeit not ultra-defensive (because such approach could be even more counter-productive).

Essentially - and this is something I often recommend - you can start on the Balanced mentality and either no instructions at all or just a couple of basic instructions (for example: shorter passing and/or distribute to CBs and FBs). The other potential instructions (tweaks) would be added (in case of need) based on your observations during matches.

Keep it simple, at least initially.

57 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The back-line looks okay. Where I would consider slight tweaking is the attack and midfield.

In attack, I would swap the duties between the strikers - DLF on support and PF on attack. This has nothing to do with being "more conservative" and is more about linking up play better. I would also look to have the support-duty striker (the DLF following the previous suggestion) in front of the DLP and the attacking one in front of the BBM. And the last change I personally would look to make is changing the wide MF next to the BBM into WM on support (instead of IW). So basically something like this:

DLFsu    PFat

IWsu      DLPde    BBM      WMsu 

I personally never play gegenpress even with top teams, let alone underdogs, simply because I prefer more sensible tactical styles. But given that the ME is not perfect, I would not dare to claim that a gegenpress-based tactic (or something similarly aggressive and gung-ho) cannot work even for an underdog team. Stranger things have happened in this game, obviously :D

Joking aside, it's hard to tell you which exact style of football you should look to implement as a newcomer to the EPL, but common sense would definitely suggest something less adventurous and more conservative, albeit not ultra-defensive (because such approach could be even more counter-productive).

Essentially - and this is something I often recommend - you can start on the Balanced mentality and either no instructions at all or just a couple of basic instructions (for example: shorter passing and/or distribute to CBs and FBs). The other potential instructions (tweaks) would be added (in case of need) based on your observations during matches.

Keep it simple, at least initially.

Thanks so much for your response. 

Just a couple of things I want to ask you. 

1. What's the rationale in changing the wide player to WM? I haven't used that role very much. Who would you say plays that role irl? Maybe a James Word Prowse? Whilshere under Wenger when he kinda played 442? What sets him apart from a regular winger? 

2. In real life I like more compact football, more defensive. I had to go gung ho cause I had promised the board I would get promoted, and the squad was miles better than other champ teams. 

What I am afraid, and has happened to me is that I go defensive and end up loosing a ton of games 1 nil, cause I can't create anything going forward. 

How would you set up a good outlet for attacks while maintaining some defensive power? 

Also, I forgot to mention. My team is very athletic both wingbacks are super pacey and strong. So are both St. 

3. Do you have any tips for set pieces? I have done well with the normal set pieces but I feel that was due to my team being better than the oposition.

1 hour ago, Wenger6 said:

1. What's the rationale in changing the wide player to WM?

Primarily to allow both the BBM and WM more space to operate, as well as create and use space in a different manner across different areas of the pitch. And of course, to avoid being too one-dimensional. 

I haven't used that role very much

This is one of my favorite roles in the wide midfield. It is nicely balanced in the sense of supporting both defense and attack equally well. And on top of that is highly customizable. 

Who would you say plays that role irl? Maybe a James Word Prowse?

Ward Prowse is definitely a good choice for this role, but basically any wide midfield player can play it, including natural wingers or IWs. 

What sets him apart from a regular winger? 

His basic positioning is slightly narrower than that of a winger. He is more responsible defensively. He does not run with ball/dribble as much as the winger (or IW) does (unless you customize him to). He does not hug the line and is not "obsessed" with crossing as much as the winger is. Basically, WM is a considerably more flexible role than winger. 

How would you set up a good outlet for attacks while maintaining some defensive power? 

Also, I forgot to mention. My team is very athletic both wingbacks are super pacey and strong. So are both St

Hard to offer more specific advice without more info about your players in general. If you could post screenshots of your players' profiles, I could analyze them and tell you more. 

2 hours ago, Wenger6 said:

3. Do you have any tips for set pieces? I have done well with the normal set pieces but I feel that was due to my team being better than the oposition

I am no expert in set-pieces. I am generally doing okay in that respect, but nothing special. Which means that my teams occasionally both score and concede from a set piece.